• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What do you use to listen to music?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you use to listen to music?

Dear All,

Last night I cried myself to sleep having heard that my favourite app is going to be canned.
    Winamp is still a thing? NOPE: It'll be silenced forever in December

I have used Winamp for many years. Before that I used MusicMatch Jukebox but it became bloated and ugly and Winamp filled the gap. I have 387 GB of MP3s (47,240 Files) and listen to tunes every day. I don't want to use iTunes, I don't want to rack up vids on YouTube, I know where all of my MP3s are and when I want music to suit my mood then I know where to look.

People have mentioned Spotify. There is not enough alternative music on Spotify, it doesn't have the whole collection of 1 in the Jungle 1995 - 1998 collection, or all my old Gilles Peterson radio shows, or the many random DJ mixes and streams that I have collected over the years and is therefore inferior and a non-contender.

My question to the congregation is, how do you consume your music? Poll to follow...

All I want is a light weight MP3 / flac player that will read ID3 info, open playlists and rip CDs. It's surely not much to ask for. Integration with Lat.FM would be nice too. Looks like Foobar2000 fits the bill but god it looks ugly. As an aside, what do people use on their mobiles if you are a music fan with a bigger collection? I tried Winamp on Android but was very disappointed at the lack of folder browsing.

Any suggestions much appreciated.
    I am gutted at the loss on Winamp and want a replacement
    18.18%
    Windows Media Player (No imagination)
    31.82%
    I have ported my collection to iTunes (Fanboi and proud)
    27.27%
    Foobar2000 (Open Source freak)
    4.55%
    Rhythmbox (Linux Freak)
    0.00%
    Spotify (MOR consumer)
    0.00%
    Andyw sings me to sleep every night
    18.18%

I've also used Winamp for years and will continue to do so. Just cos it's being discontinued doesn't mean the app will stop working, or does it?

On Linux I use Amarok.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      I've also used Winamp for years and will continue to do so. Just cos it's being discontinued doesn't mean the app will stop working, or does it?

On Linux I use Amarok.
      I also use Amarok, but on Windows, quite nice and it recognises my iPod...
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

where's the Google music option. 20,000 tracks streamed to my iPhone, android phone (as I switch between), ipad computers......
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post

On Linux I use Amarok.
          No, it won't stop working. And I still have all the old versions I have ever installed backed up in my software collection. Still got MMJukebox should I ever need it too Just wondering if anyone else uses anything else on Windows worth looking at. I do remember trying Amarok so will have another look at that on the linux box. Really interested to hear what people using on mobile as well though as still not found a decent media player for droid yet.

Comment

VLC Media Player

(I don't listen to music or anything on the hoof, so I don't need fancy earphone thingies.)

What drives me potty about VLC though is that a few seconds into each track it throws a slight wobbler for a split second, which can wreck the music. Never figured that one out, and even more mystifying is that no one else who uses it seems to encounter the same problem.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I use iTunes purely because I have an old iPod + aux input in the car, if it ever breaks I'll be getting something different.

I point iTunes to the music folder and don't allow it to manage so the folder structure is still how I want it.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I have iTunes and its fantastic although I took the time to set it up properly, every device I have had (Windows/iOS/OSX/Andriod) has sync'd with it, smart playlists update so I don't keep listening to to the same stuff, also use it for Podcasts and now TV shows too
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I use windows media thing, or the CD player in my car, or the default app on my android.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Usually listen on my mobile, or USB sticks when in the car.

Rarely listen from my PC.

But then it so rare that Windows Media player is the one I use.
                    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                    X