• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Xbox HD TV + Advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox HD TV + Advice

Buying my little boy an Xbox for Christmas - is it necessary to have HD quality tv or is normal quality sufficient ?

Also any advice, dos/don'ts of buying an Xbox would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Buying my little boy an Xbox for Christmas - is it necessary to have HD quality tv or is normal quality sufficient ?

Also any advice, dos/don'ts of buying an Xbox would be greatly appreciated.
    Normal res is ok for most kids, I scream 'it's 1080p!!' at mine, they don't notice, happy with a CAM...

Xbox is dead, new Xbox One no idea. PS3 is better, quieter, BluRay, builtin wireless and free online gaming, Xbox360 has none of those, or didn't....

Or get him a train set....

Comment

What does "normal quality" mean... if it's a sensible sized TV than 720p/1080i would be just fine but it seems many TVs are Full HD (1080p) as standard these days.

Current consoles - XBox360/PS3 - very rarely if never render at full HD anyway as it is a big ask on the hardware, so full HD is definitely not a need. I guess the new consoles coming out can but I'd still not think it necessary.

Unless you're loaded I would get a kid a 360 or PS3 not one of the new ones. There should be great deals with the new ones being launched, there is an incredible catalogue of games already out there (often very cheap) and publishers are definitely going to be releasing games on these previous-generation consoles for some time.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Get him an XBOX one and a 56 inch LCD.

Might just keep you out the care home for a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Unless you're loaded I would get a kid a 360 or PS3 not one of the new ones.
          This is a contractor's forum, isn't it?
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
            This is a contractor's forum, isn't it?
            Sorry, I should have said "unless you're one of those parents who spoils their kids"

Comment

Some games play better in HD - for example, King Kong (one of the early games released) hadn't been tested on a normal TV, so at one point it was too dark and you kept falling off a ledge and dying.

Whether that is still true of new games or not, I don't know.
              I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

By normal TV do you mean HD-ready, or standard-resolution like an old CRT?

Comment

I had a CRT when I first bought my xBox 360 - games played fine but were cropped at the edges - was a pain in the a*se on DOA4 when you only got to see the top half of the first line of subtitles.

3 months later became a contractor and bought a HD telly.
                  Still Invoicing

Comment

Working...
                  X