• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is now the right time to become a contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is now the right time to become a contractor

Hi All,

Just wanting to get your opinions on whether you think now is a good time for me to get into contracting. The way I see it I only want to work 4 days a week - not because I want to slack off the other days; but because I want to do my own stuff in that time (mobile apps/new tech etc) and eventually turn this into a business. In other words my real aim is not greed for extra money from contracting, but rather the opportunities/flexibility that it affords me to do other things.

Currently I have 4 years experience, 2 years I was at a consultancy (and had been SC cleared), and 2 years is working at a hedge fund (in London) and have experience in UI Testing, Java, SQL Server, C# and dashboard/BI stuff too.

In my personal time I've tried building apps for Nokia (Maemo/Qt) and BB10 (Qt) and I'm always looking to do stuff in my spare time.

Whats the earliest you guys have started contracting - is 4 years enough experience? Would a potential client really think I can bring something to the table (I think of contractors as old old veterans in my mind)???

Thanks in advance for your input.

Originally posted by rashm2k View Post
    In my personal time I've tried building apps for Nokia (Maemo/Qt) and BB10 (Qt) and I'm always looking to do stuff in my spare time.
    Both are dead platforms.

A good test if you cut out to be a contractor is to try to bleed your radiators.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Both are dead platforms.

A good test if you cut out to be a contractor is to try to bleed your radiators.
      what's your position on gladiator movies?
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Hi All,

Just wanting to get your opinions on whether you think now is a good time for me to get into contracting. The way I see it I only want to work 4 days a week - not because I want to slack off the other days; but because I want to do my own stuff in that time (mobile apps/new tech etc) and eventually turn this into a business. In other words my real aim is not greed for extra money from contracting, but rather the opportunities/flexibility that it affords me to do other things.

Currently I have 4 years experience, 2 years I was at a consultancy (and had been SC cleared), and 2 years is working at a hedge fund (in London) and have experience in UI Testing, Java, SQL Server, C# and dashboard/BI stuff too.

Whats the earliest you guys have started contracting - is 4 years enough experience? Would a potential client really think I can bring something to the table (I think of contractors as old old veterans in my mind)???

Thanks in advance for your input.
        No, you're obviously too thick.

It's my turn for the SAS logon, come on...

Comment

4 years. Mmmmmmmmm. Let me see.

It might be enough. Can you choke down pole?

Comment

Just wanting to get your opinions on whether you think now is a good time for me to get into contracting.
            If you're looking for a serious answer, ask your question here....

Magic Eight Ball CGI

Comment

Greed for money?!

Greed is wanting what you haven't earned. If you earn & therefore deserve it (and to be a successful contractor I suspect -this is my first- that you have to work hard compared to being a permie where you can just blend into the background) then it's not greedy at all.

Justly earned money is the manifestation of all that is great in humanity ; )

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                Greed for money?!

Greed is wanting what you haven't earned. If you earn & therefore deserve it (and to be a successful contractor I suspect -this is my first- that you have to work hard compared to being a permie where you can just blend into the background) then it's not greedy at all.

Justly earned money is the manifestation of all that is great in humanity ; )
                I take your point, but what I meant was I'm not jumping to become a contractor because the money (appears) to be better, but because I genuinely want to have the flexibility and time to do something else as well.

Comment

I genuinely want to have the flexibility and time to do something else as well.
                  Smooth talker, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Smooth talker, eh?
                    Oh you smell socks too.

Comment

Working...
                    X