• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Earthlings, bow to the superiority of...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earthlings, bow to the superiority of...

Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 11 June 2022, 08:22.

It's been really slow on here all afternoon. Just got slower.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      It's been really slow on here all afternoon. Just got slower.
      Only an hour to go!
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty
        There are tossers who simply "must" have the latest spec machine, and they pay through their nose to achieve that, only for that high-spec machine to spend much of its life sat there depreciating, and then there are sensible chaps like me, who only buy the hardware that they actually need, and keep using it for as long as it does what they need it to, not falling for the marketing hype or "keeping up with the Jones's".

Jeff Maginty, boldly following the trailing edge of technology and staying faithful to my Yorkshire roots! Btw, does anyone know if they make a pc case in brass?
        There are also those of us who need high performance machines for our work.

Comment

honestly 8GB of ram and an SSD will make you love your PC again. You don't need an i5/7 CPU unless you do lots but memory & SSD makes M$ office run OK.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            honestly 8GB of ram and an SSD will make you love your PC again. You don't need an i5/7 CPU unless you do lots but memory & SSD makes M$ office run OK.
            WHS

Comment

Bought some new hardware recently but defo not top spec. The most demanding apps I run are sequencers / samplers and though loads of RAM help I can still produce perfectly acceptable results with no bottlenecks on five year old kit with all the up to date outboard gear. It's cool though to have the hardware to run multiple VM's for testing server builds.

For work I'm 90% of the time in a terminal and CLI so anything does the job.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty
                Btw, does anyone know if they make a pc case in brass?
                Yep: 39 amazing Steampunk computer mods | Steampunk Computers | MusicRadar

Comment

Working...
                X