• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Froch Off!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Froch Off!

Ridiculous.....

Ref bottled that......

No he didn’t. Watch it more closely. That is a very flippant remark. It’s not the first punch that does the damage in that type of position it’s the punches that follow. Look what happened to Gerald McLellan when he fought Nigel Benn and Michael Watson a few years earlier. The ref has a duty to ensure the safety of the boxer and in this case he was spot on. It was late into the fight with both boxers beginning to tire. He was correct. I spoke to Mickey Vann yesterday and he said the ref was right. My lad is a pro boxer and I wouldn’t want him to get hurt. The referee’s primary responsibility is the safety and welfare of the boxers at all times. If he thought Groves was in trouble then he has no other option but to stop the fight. Half the boozed up oinks at Manchester on Saturday were there baying for blood. Booing Froch out of the ring was classless – he didn’t stop the fight.

Comment

Scott Quigg thinks the ref got it wrong. Opinions eh?

Comment

Originally posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
        No he didn’t. Watch it more closely. That is a very flippant remark. It’s not the first punch that does the damage in that type of position it’s the punches that follow. Look what happened to Gerald McLellan when he fought Nigel Benn and Michael Watson a few years earlier. The ref has a duty to ensure the safety of the boxer and in this case he was spot on. It was late into the fight with both boxers beginning to tire. He was correct. I spoke to Mickey Vann yesterday and he said the ref was right. My lad is a pro boxer and I wouldn’t want him to get hurt. The referee’s primary responsibility is the safety and welfare of the boxers at all times. If he thought Groves was in trouble then he has no other option but to stop the fight. Half the boozed up oinks at Manchester on Saturday were there baying for blood. Booing Froch out of the ring was classless – he didn’t stop the fight.
        How come all the ex boxers (haye, glen,khan, nelson etc) think it got stopped too quickly. It's a world title fight ! I smell fix
        "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
        Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Originally posted by No2politics View Post
          How come all the ex boxers (haye, glen,khan, nelson etc) think it got stopped too quickly. It's a world title fight ! I smell fix
          And Froch was well rocking when put down in the first, there's no doubt in my mind the ref attempted to judge the fighters, Froch is hard, he can get up, Groves not sure, better stop the fight. It's not his job to do that.

Comment

Opinions. IMHO I think he got it right. Froch can bang and he may have hit him once too much and caused damage which we don't want to see. I saw Barry mcGuigan fight Young Ali a few years ago. Tragic

Comment

It was late in the fight, the fighters were tired, and it looked for a second or two as if Groves had stopped defending himself. We'll never know what would have happened if the ref had let Froch continue banging him in that attack.

Groves wasn't happy with the ref stopping it, but what he wants an enquiry about is that the judges only had him one round ahead when it happened.

It was a good scrap though, wasn't it.

Comment

Working...
              X