• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Career path?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Career path?

I see many contractors going back permie once they get older, e.g. 45. (that's the age when you are not in a mood to be involved in a startup).

That means one needs to have certain skills by then, e.g. to know how to climb the corporate ladder.

What do you see as a common career path for contractors?

What else do you need to be good at once you hit 45?

Puns welcome, it's a Monday after a weekend after all.

Originally posted by mickey View Post
    Puns welcome, it's a Monday after a weekend after all.
    As opposed to a Monday that's not after a weekend?

Comment

Managing people and situations. If you hit 45 and you still cannot articulate yourself, deal with social situations or cannot influence than frankly you're destined to stay at a certain level of mediocrity and upcoming youngsters are going to replace you, if not already.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Plan B should be well under way by age 45.
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

I'm in my early 40s and I don't really want to spend the rest of my life earning a comfortable living doing the same types of contract for ever. So I'm looking at a high profile permie job for three years, which will leave me many more options.

Comment

I dislike large corporations.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by mickey View Post
              I see many contractors going back permie once they get older, e.g. 45. ...
              Have you got any stats to back that up?

I've seen permies go contracting and go back to being permie. Permies go contracting and stick with it. Contractors get settled in an area/firm and take a perm job.

Personally, I tried going permie again in my late 30s for a year to retrain myself in what a waste of my life it was. Initially it seemed promising, good pay and benefits but after tax and no bonus I was back on track.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                +1. I look at 360 reviews and everything else and just think no thanks (oh and being senior unless you are the main boss and chief shareholder is little different).
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  That just shows a lack of maturity. If you can influence then the size of company shouldn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    +1. I look at 360 reviews and everything else and just think no thanks (oh and being senior unless you are the main boss and chief shareholder is little different).
                    Again, someone else thinking small. Aim to be the boss.

Comment

Working...
                    X