• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any SAN experts in Da House?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any SAN experts in Da House?

Right, I am happy to use SAN, but not aware how it works! I know the basics, network block devices, divvied up, Fiber-channel, zoned and masked etc, but I've just bought two FC storage arrays cheap, and I'm thinking all I need to do is:

1. Either just hook it up to a box via a FC card.....

2. Have Bladecenter with a Brocade Fiber Switch - just plug into that and that becomes the Director and I can do the zoning etc there?

I used FC cards and VMWare picked mine up.

I suppose it depends on the SAN.

GE

Comment

Having FC arrays directly connected to a card in a server isn't really a SAN IMO, just a different form of DAS.

I'd download the manuals for the switch you think you might need and have a read through it. They are often quite informative, if only in the sense of letting you know what you don't know.

I am most definitely not a SAN expert BTW
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post
        I used FC cards and VMWare picked mine up.

I suppose it depends on the SAN.

GE
        I get how it works as DAS, fibre or not it's Directly Attached Storage, acts there as a USB disk would. Really wanted to know if the Brocade FC switch in the Bladecenter can do all the SAN stuff I mention, I think it can, otherwise think again!

240 quid for two FC arrays, 9TB of storage!! and 1400w of power

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          Having FC arrays directly connected to a card in a server isn't really a SAN IMO, just a different form of DAS.

I'd download the manuals for the switch you think you might need and have a read through it. They are often quite informative, if only in the sense of letting you know what you don't know.

I am most definitely not a SAN expert BTW
          Cheers!

I'm reasonably sure if I plug the array via it's FC GBIC's to similar on the Brocade switch in the BC I'll have a fully working SAN to the BC (but nowhere else) - the FC switch's web config page seems to imply I can do this, suspect I might need something else tho, goes on about OpenFabric...

Comment

Have you looked to see if the Brocade Switchcan do VF's?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Cheers!

I'm reasonably sure if I plug the array via it's FC GBIC's to similar on the Brocade switch in the BC I'll have a fully working SAN to the BC (but nowhere else) - the FC switch's web config page seems to imply I can do this, suspect I might need something else tho, goes on about OpenFabric...

I'm not sure exactly what you are working with here but I suspect you can just plug it in as you mention above. Check out this link to an IBM RedBook detailing one model of the Brocade embedded SAN module (embedded as in it goes into IBM BladeCenter). http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/technotes/tips0747.pdf

By the way, the reference to OpenFabric might be an indication that you have a McData module (or Brocade M-series) which should work pretty much the same, at least for zoning and other basic SAN-type functions.

Comment

Working...
              X