• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Maybe I'm naive and soft but...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe I'm naive and soft but...

OK. Scenario - you're after some building work etc done at your house so you ask two builders to come around and give you a quote.

First one turns up, seems good and more importantly, to you, hes very cheap. You decide you'd like him to do the work. Trouble is, other builder is coming in 3 hours.
    Do you:-

1. Not mess the 2nd builder around, see what he has to say, then at least you can still choose the best option.
    2. Phone the 2nd builder asap to cancel the appointment, and, at least, apologise.
    3. Do nothing. Wait until 2nd builder turns up and rings the door bell but hide behind the settee and wait for him to go away.

I'm reckoning most decent people would choose (1). Possibly option (2) at worst. Option (3) is what the complete tosser would choose IMHO.

Twice, in the past two weeks, I've had phone interviews arranged with clients who've failed to show (And hid behind the settee metaphorically!). Today's one was classic - the time they wanted was really awkward for me but, apparently, the client insisted on this time, so I put myself out to make myself available. No sign of.

Bit worrying that earlier today I saw the same role it seemed on jobserve for £50/day less that I'd been put forward for. Going to back to the builder story, looks like client may have taken another candidate from another agency for cheaper and decided not to waste his time on the 'expensive' builder.

Again, going back to the builder story, if you did this enough times you're going to come across a builder who gets a bit peed off with this treatment....

Not suggesting we all start to act like disgruntled builders but its not cool being treated like this. In my book, being a contractor means contract work, no job security, need to be flexible, but it doesn't mean willing to be treated like tulipe.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    OK. Scenario - you're after some building work etc done at your house so you ask two builders to come around and give you a quote.

First one turns up, seems good and more importantly, to you, hes very cheap. You decide you'd like him to do the work. Trouble is, other builder is coming in 3 hours.

1. Not mess the 2nd builder around, see what he has to say, then at least you can still choose the best option.
    2. Phone the 2nd builder asap to cancel the appointment, and, at least, apologise.
    3. Do nothing. Wait until 2nd builder turns up and rings the door bell but hide behind the settee and wait for him to go away.

I'm reckoning most decent people would choose (1). Possibly option (2) at worst. Option (3) is what the complete tosser would choose IMHO.

Twice, in the past two weeks, I've had phone interviews arranged with clients who've failed to show (And hid behind the settee metaphorically!). Today's one was classic - the time they wanted was really awkward for me but, apparently, the client insisted on this time, so I put myself out to make myself available. No sign of.

Bit worrying that earlier today I saw the same role it seemed on jobserve for £50/day less that I'd been put forward for. Going to back to the builder story, looks like client may have taken another candidate from another agency for cheaper and decided not to waste his time on the 'expensive' builder.

Again, going back to the builder story, if you did this enough times you're going to come across a builder who gets a bit peed off with this treatment....

Not suggesting we all start to act like disgruntled builders but its not cool being treated like this. In my book, being a contractor means contract work, no job security, need to be flexible, but it doesn't mean willing to be treated like tulipe.
    Maybe prospective clients have finally found your account on here and read your posting history?

Maybe you should retaliate by blocking up their front door with bricks?
    Last edited by SimonMac; 25 November 2013, 17:13.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Maybe prospective clients have finally found your account on here and read your posting history?

Maybe you should retaliate buy blocking up their front door with bricks?
      I might do!

Comment

Whinging B0ll0cks with crass builder analogy
        I believe the standard response is MTFU!

Comment

Keep the evidence for the dole office. All useful job seeking activity.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Keep the evidence for the dole office. All useful job seeking activity.
            Of courses lol

Comment

A whole worlds smallest ensemble for you as I think one violin is just not enough..

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X