• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What makes you seek a new gig?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What makes you seek a new gig?

Apart from those rare occasions when the current contract is not being rolled.

Would love to hear from the gurus.

When I do not currently have a gig, what other reasons are there?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Change of ClientCo technology strategy is the only time my contract hasn't run to the max length permitted by ClientCo Policy.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
        Change of ClientCo technology strategy is the only time my contract hasn't run to the max length permitted by ClientCo Policy.
        I find lack of any more budget is the reason why I'm going.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

As soon as I find myself getting bored, lazy or complacent I reject an extension. Have never ended contract mid-term.

Comment

I've always completed contracts even if not enjoyable as it's not really the deal is it?

They sign for work you get paid for it. I would find it harder to work in a unenjoyable role as a permy facing a PDP at year end than for a short while as a contractor before leaving.

The only time I have finished a contract early was due to a family incident that needed me nearer to home. I spoke to the end client explaining my desire to leave after 3 months of a 6 month gig. I found them a replacement from my network which they interviewed and were happy with so I left on the best terms I could.

Comment

When you are expected to work evening and weekends for free....

Comment

Originally posted by RedSauce View Post
                As soon as I find myself getting bored, lazy or complacent I reject an extension. Have never ended contract mid-term.
                Would you bump your current dull gig with reasonable hours and good rate for a gig with more stress and longer hours that also looks sexier on the CV?

Comment

^ not a chance. I find most roles can be made to look far better on my CV than the reality. to me, Global corporation = process bound, old technology, tightly constrained, boring - but it looks great when you add them to your CV as a complex multi terabyte environment using enterprise features.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey View Post
                    Would you bump your current dull gig with reasonable hours and good rate for a gig with more stress and longer hours that also looks sexier on the CV?
                    It depends on other factors (rate, location). I am not saying i wouldn't ditch client if an amazing opportunity arose, but I have yet to be faced with an offer that turned my head.

Comment

Working...
                    X