• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best city to live in

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best city to live in

If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?

Only catch is that the following criteria must be met -

- able to travel to London and Amsterdam at reasonable cost (<150GBP) and with ease

Um, that is it actually.

I work from home and can be based anywhere. I am considering seeing somewhere else in the world. I speak French and German and wouldn't be put off by the need to learn another language. I'd rent but I'd like somewhere where the cost of living compares favourably with the UK.

I'd only be interested in a big urban city with a good nightlife and good sporting and cultural facilities. It would be great if the locals had a reputation for friendliness.

I can't imagine having this much freedom later in life...so why not...

Maybe south of France, maybe Spain, maybe Eastern Europe.

Originally posted by DieScum

- able to travel to London and Amsterdam at reasonable cost (<150GBP) and with ease

Um, that is it actually.

I work from home and can be based anywhere. I am considering seeing somewhere else in the world. I speak French and German and wouldn't be put off by the need to learn another language. I'd rent but I'd like somewhere where the cost of living compares favourably with the UK.

I'd only be interested in a big urban city with a good nightlife and good sporting and cultural facilities. It would be great if the locals had a reputation for friendliness.

Swindon.

HTH

Comment

With a name like 'DieScum' I'd have thought Manchester would be ideal.
      Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Maybe south of France
        I hear Nice is nice. Nice biscuits too.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Monte Carlo

HTH
          The rest is silence...

Comment

Brussels.
            Cheap beer, good-looking birds, cheap to live, not far from the Dam and London, French and English speaking (piss off cloggies) etc etc
            We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Sounds like you're advertising your skills here !

Comment

Um, that is it actually.

Dublin , friendly locals etc, though the cost of living is at London level's these days.

Perhaps any of the big Spannish cities, Madrid, Valencia or even Barcelona & Sevilla . All lively, lots of sports and culture.

Comment

Madrid

Madrid. Great city, not too touristy, lots of sport (Bulls!), food, nightlife, friendly people. Good connections to other parts of spain. Only downside, if you see it as such, is that you really need to pick up some spanish. But there are plenty of language schools there and at least you wouldnt be able to be lazy and just "slip in" to english when out and about.

Suggest you do a weekend break and see for yourself.

Comment

Um, that is it actually.

Or Amsterdam?

Comment

Working...
                    X