• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So what did you learn this year?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what did you learn this year?

With so many moaney whingers around, I wanted to ask, so what did you learn this year? What skills did you acquire? What qualifications to put you ahead of the globalised competition?

For me it was bidding and proposal skills, technically I learnt to use R as the enabling technology for my hard-won stats skills. Next year I will look at the data science capabilities in Python and look at technologies for large datasets.

It's been a bumper year.

HTH
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Some PLC, Scada, process control stuff. Lots of stuff about materials handling systems, plus some python scripting for use in tests.

And how to dance tango.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I learned that investment banking isn't quite as discerning in who they engage as we'd been led to believe.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

I learned how to wire a lighting circuit, does that count?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Quite useful at Christmas.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            With so many moaney whingers around, I wanted to ask, so what did you learn this year? What skills did you acquire? What qualifications to put you ahead of the globalised competition?

For me it was bidding and proposal skills, technically I learnt to use R as the enabling technology for my hard-won stats skills. Next year I will look at the data science capabilities in Python and look at technologies for large datasets.

It's been a bumper year.

HTH
            Good question - I learned quite a bit, but probably forgot almost as much.

But I think I'm still just about ahead.

One thing I _must_ to get into soon is mobile web development, if I'm even to retain the phrase "web development" with a straight face on my CV; but when it comes to mobile phones, I'm the World's biggest Luddite. Can't stand the tiny little print and images, or touch screens come to that.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I learnt quite a bit about contract law / dispute resolution / arbitration / EOT / VO / CE’s this will be invaluable for future projects
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Holy tulip, that's good. Any time I rewire anything in the ceiling, I always turn on the light switch with a wooden spoon.

For me, My background is in business change, some of it IT and some of it with no IT, but I have no technical skills. So, I'm teaching myself HTML5, CSS and some JavaScript. I have a prototype web app on my phone which I hope to demo to prospective clients soon. I doubt they'll buy it, but it's good to use my train time to learn a new skill.

Comment

I learnt the words "only kidding" don't quite make things better when asked by GF#1 "what is your fantasy?" and I suggested her daughter in a threesome.
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Learned to play a flute and working on other woodwind instruments. Oh and C#
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X