• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Maximum load in a 7 ton Luton van

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maximum load in a 7 ton Luton van

I'm hiring a large Luton van to move some tiles and books into self storage this weekend.

When I asked the maximum load, the guy at the van hire firm said one ton. But I wondered if he was underestimating this weight, i.e. being over-conservative, with the understandable aim of minimising wear and tear on his van.

Given that this van weighs 7 tons, and will have two passengers in the front, is this a reasonable maximum weight? Or could I pack in a ton and a half or two tons with no risk of damaging the suspension or anything?

Or does it vary widely depending on the make of Luton van, and perhaps this guy's vans are indeed unsuitable for loads of more than a ton.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

I think you might be getting confused, the truck will not weigh 7 tons, that is just the maximum gross laden weight you could (probably) be allowed to drive with on your licence (depending on type), including vehicle, cargo, passengers trailer etc.

You will need to ask for the unladen weight and subtract this from the maximum gross laden weight to work out how much you can carry
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Looking around it says the payload is around 1600 Kg. Seems to vary between 1000kg and 1600 from what I saw on the sites.

http://www.handy-removals.co.uk/luton-van-size/

Size & Load
      Load Length = 3900mm
      Load Width = 2050mm
      Load Height = 2110mm
      Payload = 1600-1800kg
      Loading Capacity = 600 Cubic Feet
      http://www.longmarshltd.co.uk/news.asp?news=117

FORD TRANSIT LUTON BOX VAN

EXTERNAL HEIGHT
      10’ 10”
      3.30 METRES

EXTERNAL LENGTH
      22’ 0”
      6.70 METRES

INTERNAL HEIGHT
      7’ 2”
      2.18 METRES

INTERNAL WIDTH
      6’ 5”
      1.95 METRES

INTERNAL LENGTH
      12’ 11”
      3.93 METRES

PAYLOAD
      1050 KG
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Looking around it says the payload is around 1600 Kg. Seems to vary between 1000kg and 1600 from what I saw on the sites.

Luton Van Size, Luton Vans Hire | Handy Removals

Van and Truck Dimensions & Carrying Capacity
        A luton transit is 3.5T. A 7.5T truck should be good for about 2-3T. The chances are if you've hired a "Luton" it's a 3.5T transit / mercedes sprinter or similar, not a 7.5T truck.
        Last edited by doodab; 28 November 2013, 12:25.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Or does it vary widely depending on the make of Luton van, and perhaps this guy's vans are indeed unsuitable for loads of more than a ton.
          There will be a stamped plate somewhere easily accessible which has the details of unladen and maximum laden weights, and this is what the police use if they suspect you are overloaded and drag you off to a weighbridge. I'm pretty sure it's done individually for each van or truck so that the unladen weight reflects stuff like the engine, towbars or any other equipment fitted.

On the 1970s Ford Transits I drove this plate was located on the step up to the passenger side of the cabin so that it could be read by opening the door.

The front and rear axles have separate limits. If you are close to the maximum payload you want to try and spread the load between the axles so that neither axle is over its limit.

Yes, the weight of driver and passengers is taken into account. When I got dragged off to a weighbridge the cops pointed out that a passenger may have pushed me over the limit.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

If it's rated over 3.5t it'll have DOT plate which are usually some shade of faded orange. It'll also have a tachograph but as long as you're not using for business use then you don't need to use it.

It's its a 3.5t rated vehicle it'll have one of these.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              I'm hiring a large Luton van to move some tiles and books into self storage this weekend.

When I asked the maximum load, the guy at the van hire firm said one ton. But I wondered if he was underestimating this weight, i.e. being over-conservative, with the understandable aim of minimising wear and tear on his van.

Given that this van weighs 7 tons, and will have two passengers in the front, is this a reasonable maximum weight? Or could I pack in a ton and a half or two tons with no risk of damaging the suspension or anything?

Time to move the bullion?

Comment

Working...
              X