• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is that wage high enough ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that wage high enough ?

considering it is not so difficult to get contracts paying 100k per annum where the only responsibility on the contractor is to deliver the work the boss has asked him to do,

is the goverment's offer of 100k for the post of Senior Government IT Director really enough ?

The Government is searching nationwide for a high-calibre IT professional to fill the post of senior Director of Government IT Professionalism - a role commanding a likely starting salary of over £100,000.

Surely to get some really sh1t hot they need to be offering 250k ?

What is the point of taking such roles with the likley stress and pressure and responsibilities when you can get the same for contracting as a .net developer ?

Milan.

**** off you tedious @rse

Ever considered that the post of Senior Government IT Director might lead to a post of Senior Blue Chip IT Director, which leads to even greater roles earning considerably more than you. So maybe it's worth doing?

Comment

Lay off. Bean's arse is lovely and shiny and black and not at all tedious. I think about it all the time.
      PS I could do that job.
      PPS Anyone who gets £50+ an hour for a contract should be shot. IT'S NOT FAIR. Anyone here who does should give me some to assuage their consciences.

Comment

"considering it is not so difficult to get contracts paying 100k per annum where the only responsibility on the contractor is to deliver the work the boss has asked him to do, "

Value adding contractor that Milan! :rolleyes

Comment

100k per annum
          That sounds like Permie-speak. MF is right though, you should be doing a bit more than delivering on time for £400 a day (which is contractor-speak for £100k a year )
          Not something which is ever likely to trouble you though Beansey.

Comment

ahh

aye Chavs,

that's because people like me focus on getting the job done instead of wasting time like you noddies always trying to demonstrate added value and any other nonsense you can dream up to hide your technical inadequacies

Milan.

Comment

Conscience...

PPS Anyone who gets £50+ an hour for a contract should be shot. IT'S NOT FAIR. Anyone here who does should give me some to assuage their consciences.
              Sorry mate, I haven't got a conscience, I'm a Contractor...:hat

Comment

Re: Conscience...

Good answer Spod.

It's all very New Labour and permie to think of "added value" and "fair rates" and "don't you feel guilty about charging £400/day to knock up some code etc when the permies are getting £30K p.a."?

Errr, nope. :hat

Probably because the contractor on £400/day is FIXING all the @#%$ up's caused by £30K p.a permies and our friends offshore, which makes his/her rate seem quite a bargain to the bean counters and shareholders. :hat THAT'S added value.

Comment

Oi, comrades

But the little children are starving. I don't know how anyone who earns more than £5/hr can live with themselves.

Bob Geldof, KBE.

:rollin

Comment

Re: Conscience...

I do my bit for Charidee, but I don't like to talk about it, mate.

Comment

Working...
                    X