• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: Taxman wants power to fingerprint suspects

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear: Taxman wants power to fingerprint suspects

HM Revenue and Customs wants stronger powers to investigate tax crime including authority to take fingerprints to avoid delays in finding a police constable, the right to charge suspects, and simplified procedures for obtaining search warrants.

A consultation document setting out how the powers and accompanying safeguards used in the investigation of tax crime could be modernised was published by HMRC yesterday.

HMRC is responsible for investigating suspected criminal activity across the whole range of its responsibilities, including investigating tax credit fraud and VAT fraud, which can involve organised crime.

HMRC is seeking views on applying the relevant provisions in the Police and Criminal Evidence Act (PACE) across all its activities. Currently, those powers and their associated safeguards are only available for specific taxes and duties. Having the same law apply across the board will be clearer for those under investigation* and will increase the effectiveness of HMRC's investigations, argues the authority.

Taxman wants power to fingerprint suspects
    *Nice to know it's for our own benefit.

I seem to recall concerns being raised at the time of the merger that HMC&E's powers of arrest, etc would seep across to the IR section. Of course, we were assured this would not happen as it was not appropriate.

LB, when wife and I went to New York a few months ago, we had our fingerprints and faces scanned. No questions, no pack drills.

My wife obviously had to stand quite a way back from the camera, of course...
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Eh? What do you mean of course? Has she got a gigantically enormous head?
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
        LB, when wife and I went to New York a few months ago, we had our fingerprints and faces scanned. No questions, no pack drills.

My wife obviously had to stand quite a way back from the camera, of course...
        That’s strange, I went to an evil axis country Cuba, I had to give them my name and address and that was it. No crime, could wonder anywhere on the Island (apart from the American bit) kind helpful people, no muggings. Umm
        HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
          Eh? What do you mean of course? Has she got a gigantically enormous head?

Artist's impression
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Whose' that - threaded's girlfriend?

Comment

Ohhh soapy tit wank.................... I'm off...............
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

LR here we come.

Comment

Originally posted by Clog II The Avenger
                  That’s strange, I went to an evil axis country Cuba, I had to give them my name and address and that was it. No crime, could wonder anywhere on the Island (apart from the American bit) kind helpful people, no muggings. Umm
                  I went there too. They didn't even ask me if I was or ever had been a member of the communist party.

Comment

That's great news. Thanks to an accident in a chemisty lesson, I have no fingerprints on one hand at least. Just got to do the other one.
                    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Working...
                    X