• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The so called UK economic recovery

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The so called UK economic recovery

So economic output is going up. And so is personal debt. Coincidence? I think not.

Recovery will only come when we export stuff people want - whether goods or services.

Does anyone here really believe this sh1t?
    No
    65.22%
    Yes - as I am andyw. I will be the next chancellor! haha
    34.78%

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    So economic output is going up. And so is personal debt. Coincidence? I think not.

Recovery will only come when we export stuff people want - whether goods or services.

Does anyone here really believe this sh1t?
    The economic recovery is based on the stock markets and investment banks' performance but not on industrial output and wages. The UK 'economy' no longer needs the input from UK workers because banks now make their profits by investing in China, India and world commodities & food production.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

To be fair, George tried to create a genuine recovery in the first few years.

But that didn't work...

So now he's gone back to the tried and tested, good old fashioned method of a debt fuelled, house price driven boom and bust.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
        To be fair, George tried to create a genuine recovery in the first few years.

But that didn't work...

So now he's gone back to the tried and tested, good old fashioned method of a debt fuelled, house price driven boom and bust.
        Ha ha !!!

Oh, hold on, I think the joke's on us

Comment

The fact that so much of it depends on the central bank keeping interest rates low is not a positive sign.

I think it's even worse for those who hold the UK's debt though, since it's inflating it away.

Comment

Economics is local ...... rather than looking at the stats how does it effect you, your friends and family?

Personally everything for me is fine. And 2014 will be better than 2013.

All my immediate family are working, not just in the UK, but in Europe too. In my extended family there is one cousin who has recently lost his job but he's not too concerned and should be OK in the New Year.

My neighbours are all working, I can't think of any of my friends who are out of work.

I've been a hiring-manager for a decade and I haven't been approached by any of the dozens of contractors that have passed through my teams over the years.

I have been trying to get an electrician, plumber and decorator in to do some work and the ones I usually use are busy up until the end of the year. Chatting to a builder friend in the pub he tells me that he's got a good solid work stream for the next few months.

So from my perspective, in the South East of England, the recovery is picking up speed.

...... however if I were sitting in the North East things might look different. Oh, hang on .... I was sitting in the NE 15 years ago. It was bleak then and that's why I moved.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Does anyone really believe we don't? Every company I've ever worked for has exported stuff to every corner of the globe, be it software or big industrial machines. Current PermieCo certainly does, although technically they export from America but they pay for a British team of engineers to develop it because we're better*, which suits me.

*Or just cheaper anyway.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

There is a bit of a recovery going on. but I fear that it will be without any increase in employment. Having the government intervene to create a false recovery in housing is not good news at all. Many parts of the UK will probably never recover. Leaving future citizens to pay billions in benefits regardless of the economic state.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  Does anyone really believe we don't? Every company I've ever worked for has exported stuff to every corner of the globe, be it software or big industrial machines. Current PermieCo certainly does, although technically they export from America but they pay for a British team of engineers to develop it because we're better*, which suits me.

*Or just cheaper anyway.
                  The trade imbalance is huge so while the UK does export goods, it it probably only a tiny fraction compared to what is imported. So the appearance is that nothing is exported.
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                    The trade imbalance is huge so while the UK does export goods, it it probably only a tiny fraction compared to what is imported. So the appearance is that nothing is exported.
                    A bit over £3bn from the figures I can find, which is approximately 0.2% of GDP. Is that really "huge"? Obviously it would be better if it went the other way, but it can hardly be the defining factor as BP suggests.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X