• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Awesome news!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome news!

[b]McClaren signals the end to Beckham's national service[/b
    By Matt Dickinson and George Caulkin

DAVID BECKHAM’S England career is almost certainly finished after Steve McClaren left the former captain out of his first international squad, to be named later today. Stranded on 94 caps, six short of the century he has longed to reach, Beckham has been exiled as McClaren makes a decisive and dramatic break from the Sven-Göran Eriksson era.

When he tearfully stood down from the captaincy the day after England’s exit from the World Cup finals, Beckham declared his wish to help McClaren and whoever would take up the armband, but the Real Madrid midfield player will be watching from home when John Terry — confirmed as the new skipper yesterday — leads his country out against Greece at Old Trafford on Wednesday.

Beckham’s last appearance ended when he limped off shortly after half-time during the quarter-final defeat to Portugal. He sat crying on the bench and, given how much he has loved playing for his country since making his debut under Glenn Hoddle nearly a decade ago, he will almost certainly have shed a few tears on discovering that McClaren sees no future for him in his new England team. Fitness is not an issue, Beckham having played for Real in a midweek friendly.

He had contributed from set-pieces at the World Cup finals, scoring England’s only goal against Ecuador from a trademark free kick (the last of his 17 goals), but, at 31, had lost the ability to charge up and down the right flank. Eriksson was extraordinarily loyal to his captain, but there were plenty of occasions when the team needed more pace and penetration. That will now be provided by Aaron Lennon, Shaun Wright-Phillips or perhaps Steven Gerrard.

McClaren will have to explain his thinking today, when he also unveils Terry Venables as his assistant, but it seems that, having decided that Beckham would not be in his starting XI, he wanted to make an entirely clean break. He had already declared that he would be doing things differently from Eriksson, his predecessor, and he has certainly lived up to that promise by ending Beckham’s international career.

McClaren yesterday predicted with some certainty that Terry “will prove to be one of the best” captains in the country’s history.While both Terry and Gerrard were formidable candidates, McClaren opted against the more daring policy — an eventuality that Middlesbrough supporters will be familiar with — of building his new-look England around Gerrard. At Liverpool, captaincy has inspired the midfield player, who will serve as Terry’s deputy, and the debate was whether a similar position of responsibility would have had the same effect.

“Choosing a captain is one of the most important decisions a coach has to make,” McClaren said. “I’m certain I’ve got the right man in John Terry. I’m convinced he will prove to be one of the best captains England has ever had. John has all the attributes an international captain needs: leadership, authority, courage, ability, tactical awareness and a total refusal to accept second-best.

“He has been an inspiration for Chelsea and is at his best in adversity. Over the five years I’ve been involved with the England coaching set-up, I’ve seen first hand the respect that John has among his fellow players. There are a number of strong leaders in the squad and he will not lack support on and off the pitch.” Gerrard voiced his “100 per cent support to Steve and John”.

McClaren will today announce that Venables, a predecessor as head coach, and Steve Round, a coach at Middlesbrough, will form his back-room staff, as well as declaring the squad for the visit of Greece.

-------------

The only pity I have is that this guy seems to be more experience and he won't fall for fake sheiks, other than that its great to see how tw@t Beckham got a kicking, he sure is more successful in marketing!

Beckham is a pansy smuck
    HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

poofball is a pansy smucks game!

Mailman

Comment

Football NewsFlash from a Parallel Universe

Ukraine 0 Switzerland 0

Comment

Yes, but just to clarify that is not a result. They are still on penalties.

Comment

great to see how tw@t Beckham got a kicking

Alexei, what is it with you and Beckham, did he turn you down once (can't be that, everybody does that), is it unrequited love, jealousy, what?
            Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
              Yes, but just to clarify that is not a result. They are still on penalties.
              Are their fans taking them now?

Comment

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
                Alexei, what is it with you and Beckham, did he turn you down once (can't be that, everybody does that), is it unrequited love, jealousy, what?
                He's the classic example of a 'fan' who knows SFA beyond whatever bandwagon the papers wanna jump on this week. He's a great player and was a decent Captain for England. At the very least deserving of respect for some of contributions to his national team.
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

For the record - I never liked Beckham tw@t whose main talent is in making haircuts and posing on various advertising materials: he is a show off more than anything, with vanity exceeding talent big time. Owen is much better from this point of view, though his injuries make it hard for him to compete for captaincy, plus he seems kind of shy to be leader. Terry is a good choice.

btw I am not a fan - just having objective (without emotions) analytical view on the matter, as always.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                    btw I am not a fan - just having objective (without emotions) analytical view on the matter, as always.

As always you forget. To have an "Objective view" you need to understand "The Game" It is obvious you know nothing of Football or Beckhams skill/contribution to football.

And P.S I am not a United supporter

Comment

Working...
                    X