• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So I was online...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I was online...

With a glass of wine having a look at Daltons thinking 'I wonder what businesses are up for sale' in my local area.

An interesting spot and 20 minutes later I'm in my local pub looking for the landlord and getting the lowdown from the manager and staff.

I've always fancied owning a pub. Anyone done it as a Plan B?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    With a glass of wine having a look at Daltons thinking 'I wonder what businesses are up for sale' in my local area.

An interesting spot and 20 minutes later I'm in my local pub looking for the landlord and getting the lowdown from the manager and staff.

Looked into it, You need to work 24/7. No thanks
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

If I were to open a business here where I live, it'd be a cafe or hair salon. There's already like a dozen of them and yet every one of them popping up is filled with customers, to the point that they struggle to fit them in.

Comment

You'll turn into an alcoholic. Hang on, you already are one..

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
          If I were to open a business here where I live, it'd be a cafe or hair salon. There's already like a dozen of them and yet every one of them popping up is filled with customers, to the point that they struggle to fit them in.
          There are big differences between the two. Café has large overheads, stock and wastage. Hair salon is very little overheads and staff are normally self employed and rent a chair.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Why not stick to sledges?

As you failed your CRB check are you allowed to own a pub?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Why not stick to sledges?

As you failed your CRB check are you allowed to own a pub?
              He can get someone else's name on the licence. He will have problems when he wants a licence term to allow children on the premises.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Looked into it, You need to work 24/7. No thanks
                WHS, really not worth it.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

I can see it now, Marillion playing 24/7, sledges on the wall and you lying sozzled in the corner.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                    WHS, really not worth it.
                    It's presently runs mostly under management with the owner doing around 30 hours behind the bar (paperwork excluded). I have no plans to work in it apart from a few shifts. It's not a small pub, 600k plus turnover, 15 staff huge additional potential.

I think a little perusal at the books is in order and a little modelling in the first instance. Owning a pub is on my bucket list.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X