• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

There be an ill wind a-comin our way

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There be an ill wind a-comin our way

Lib Dem energy minister on radio this a.m. saying the Dec budget announcement will tackle tax avoidance.

I am doom-ridden

Starbucks, Google, Amazon and Vodafone are said to be quaking in their boots
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
      Starbucks, Google, Amazon and Vodafone are said to be quaking in their boots
      which is why we should be as we are easier pray (and will likely just be collateral damage).
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

When I looked at relocating and contracting in Ireland, the CT + divs model is unattractive, simply because IIRC divs are taxable as income (subject to income tax at normal rates - can't remember the position on the NI equivalent). If the govt here was serious about destroying our model, they would do this.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          An ill wind?

That'll keep all those useless windmills turning then.
          And I wouldn't fancy being stuck in a meeting with doobab, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            When I looked at relocating and contracting in Ireland, the CT + divs model is unattractive, simply because IIRC divs are taxable as income (subject to income tax at normal rates - can't remember the position on the NI equivalent). If the govt here was serious about destroying our model, they would do this.
            Canada has the same system where the only benefit of paying a dividend is you don't make the contribution to the additional pension. This like your basic stamp in the UK is desirable.

Comment

I've heard this discussed by the likes of Hodge. However, as they have put a lot of resource into ir35 recenty i'm not sure they will do anything too blunt. However, the screw is being tightened. At some point in the future I see all PSC's being treated as being within o
              Ir35.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                I've heard this discussed by the likes of Hodge. However, as they have put a lot of resource into ir35 recenty i'm not sure they will do anything too blunt. However, the screw is being tightened. At some point in the future I see all PSC's being treated as being within o
                Ir35.
                But they'll just have to define PSCs more tightly. What is 15% of my business is selling software that I develop and the other 85% consultancy?

Comment

Consolidate all income into one pot and tax that. Scrap NI completely, and add that to income tax, so there's absolutely no incentive to incorporate.

Doesn't deal with the big corporate evaders, but it would hammer many other businesses.

Not a vote-winner, though - even by the scale of the pasty tax and the granny tax, Osborne wouldn't be daft enough to go that far.
                  I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

But they'll just have to define PSCs more tightly. What is 15% of my business is selling software that I develop and the other 85% consultancy?
                    You're thinking too narrowly - make it impact all businesses, and the personal element is irrelevant. Simple.

Comment

Working...
                    X