• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Changing HSBC Busines Direct to whom - advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing HSBC Busines Direct to whom - advice

Hi Guys/Girls,

I am just getting around to changing my HSBC Business Direct account after they introduced a £5.50 monthly fee in Aug.
    I first tried to have a review with my "Personal" Business Bank Manager but it was not so "Personal" as they were not available Fri or Sat only on a Wed Afternoon which was not suitable for me as I was away on-site.

Anyway I have been doing some research on this site as well as MoneySavingExpert and a general Google search for free Bank Accounts and have come across Cater Allen, MetroBank and Nationwide as potential candidates.

Unfortunately I do not live near London so MetroBank is out.
    With Nationwide I can find a Business Savers Account but no Business Account.
    Cater Allen I don't know much about. Are they a reliable company?

Basically I will have less the 10 transactions per month (Government and BACS transactions from Clients and payment to myself etc).
    I would like to doing online banking but don't require a Credit Card but probably do require a Debit Card.

Has anyone found any other Business Bank Account that would suit my needs?

Thanks for your help
    BPCY

Personally, for such a small amount, I'd stick with what you have. The general consensus is that HSBC are pretty good for business banking.

I'm with Cater Allen. They're "no frills" in terms of online functionality. They don't currently offer an implementation of faster payments, which is irritating, although I gather they're trying to improve that. In terms of working with international clients, they're also pretty weak, as you need to deal with at least one other intermediary, namely RBS (Cater Allen are not a clearing bank), and sometimes two (e.g. North America). I've had several payments go missing for periods of 1-3 weeks. Whenever RBS make a hash of something (which they frequently do), you'll be hit by that. On the positive side, they do have excellent customer service with UK based call centers. They answer quickly and the call center staff are generally pretty competent. For me, that isn't really enough, and I would actually consider switching to HSBC for the range of services they offer at a reasonable price.

Bottom line, I'd stick with what you have.

Comment

I moved from HSBC to Santander about 7 years ago. Been pretty pleased with it since then.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Hi James,

Thanks for replying.

I'm wanting to move because I don't believe that I should be paying for them to hold my Company money. They use it for investment and loans and should really be paying me interest to loan them as they would for any other creditors and loans.

Additionally, I have been unable to talk to my "Personal" Bank Manager to discuss why I am paying for this account as they don't work convenient times for me ie a Sat morning. This imposing of charges is outrageous for what work they do!

I remember having Flemings and they were very resonable.
        I'm looking for something similar, i.e. as long as I am in credit then there are no charges incurred.

Thanks
        BPCY

Comment

Yep, agreed. HSBC does what is says in the tin, without fuss or bother or service failure. £66 a year for peace of mind is a no brainer IMVHO. In my case the war chest parked in the deposit account gets enough interest to offset it anyway. I haven't spoken to them for four years - a call from my new account manager as it happens - and I've only needed to call them once since I first set the account up in 1996, when I had a corrupt certificate failure; that was diagnosed and fixed by a lady in Singapore in less than 30 minutes

There's a thread on Cater Allen, if you look for it. Nowadays they aren't as good as many people claim. And they used to be Flemings...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I have been looking at MoneySavingExpert which led me to this:

Business Bank Accounts | Find The Best Business Bank Account

but I'm not a startup so will only have the transferral rates for 3 months.

I'm looking for long term Free accounts as long as the Business is in Credit.

Thanks
            BPCY

Comment

But is Cater Allen just a subsidery of Santander?

What are their rates/charges etc?

I did read a thread earlier on them but I was wondering if there were other alternatives available.

Thanks
              BPCY

Comment

I'm sticking with HSBC for now - the fee is negligible and their online banking is very good compared to others I have used.
                I also have a (free) Santander business account which is pretty good, but I don't know that's still available to new customers.

As far as the "I shouldn't have to pay for an account" argument, that's silly. The market drives things, they are running a service and are entitled to charge a fee. Most/many pensions charge fees for instance as do other investment vehicles. Most credit cards used to charge, these days it's much less common. Business banking traditionally does charge.

You might note that HSBC will give you a business account which DOES accrue interest.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

+1 for HSBC

Telephone customer service is prompt and security features are good.

I made a large online purchase with my business HSBC CC last month. When I went to make payment it said 'unauthorised'. Just seconds later as I'm about to resubmit the payment details, I get a call from HSBC who ask a couple of security questions, and then ask me to confirm the purchase I'm' trying to make. They unblocked the payment and then the payment went straight through.

I'm glad to know they can do things like that with a business card, as you dont get all the same legal protections a personal card would.

BTW, they haven't started charging me monthly bank fees yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Bpcy View Post
                    Hi James,

Thanks for replying.

I'm wanting to move because I don't believe that I should be paying for them to hold my Company money. They use it for investment and loans and should really be paying me interest to loan them as they would for any other creditors and loans.

Additionally, I have been unable to talk to my "Personal" Bank Manager to discuss why I am paying for this account as they don't work convenient times for me ie a Sat morning. This imposing of charges is outrageous for what work they do!

I remember having Flemings and they were very resonable.
                    I'm looking for something similar, i.e. as long as I am in credit then there are no charges incurred.

Thanks
                    BPCY
                    Sure. "Free banking" is really a myth though. A bank is a profit-driven enterprise, so it's really a question of "how" and "how much". I really have no problem with a bank charging an account maintenance fee that reflects the cost of maintaining the account. It's transparent and upfront, rather than being hidden in various other charges or sub-par rates. It's also questionable how long the "free banking" model might last, as several have changed to upfront account maintenance fees in recent years. That's where things are heading. If you want to make money from your balance, open an easy access savings account, which needn't be with HSBC. Again, I think the customer service with Cater Allen is pretty good, certainly better than average, but I'd rather minimise my interactions with customer service

Comment

Working...
                    X