• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Charity Raffle £50 Beaverbrooks voucher off 200+ at Beaverbrooks ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charity Raffle £50 Beaverbrooks voucher off 200+ at Beaverbrooks ?

Having spend a stupid amount of money earlier in the year (before getting benched!), I got a £50 gift card for use in Beaverbrooks on any purchase over £200, but has to be used before 24 December.

Have touted (free) round family and friends, who aren't planning any jewellery/watch purchases, and can't be bothered putting it on ebay.

Thought about a charity raffle (online) but
    a) not sure how to do it
    b) probably not time to do it now before it has to be used.

Can we someone help me organise a quick n dirty charity raffle on here for it, or set one up somewhere if there isn't reels of red tape to do - say 50p or a £1 per draw ( don't know if this is outside the rules here though).

Charity would prolly be MacMillan, Help for Heroes or Guide Dogs

Thoughts ? ( sensible ones please, bench depression after 101 days is kicking in).

If above can't be done and anyone can use it I am happy to donate to a good home - seems a shame to just bin it
    If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Sorry to tell you, but you can't organise a raffle without a licence.

EDIT. My mistake, for charity it's ok.
    http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk...ber%202009.pdf

Comment

You have to be a women. Only a women thinks that a £50 off voucher when you spend more than £200 is worth something.

Woman - Hey look darling I saved £50.
      Man - No you didn't you spent £150.

What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        You have to be a women. Only a women thinks that a £50 off voucher when you spend more than £200 is worth something.

Woman - Hey look darling I saved £50.
        Man - No you didn't you spent £150.

+1

£50 off at beaverbrooks is still £50 more expensive than your local independent jeweler.

Also I note that it has to be used before Christmas. Which means that you will be kicking yourself when the price is £100 on December 26th...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

+1 to both MF and Eek, but as a woman, and a shopaholic to boot, I am loathe to bin £50 discount

Not everything will be " on sale " after Christmas. Big ticket items from good names rarely go on offer, so a Michael Kors or Gucci watch will still mean a saving.

Thinking general consensus is dictating this is heading for the bin though !
          If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Originally posted by Bellona View Post
            +1 to both MF and Eek, but as a woman, and a shopaholic to boot, I am loathe to bin £50 discount

Not everything will be " on sale " after Christmas. Big ticket items from good names rarely go on offer, so a Michael Kors or Gucci watch will still mean a saving.

Second or even third tier watch brands with big retail mark ups allowing 60% discounts sales.

There is a simple test for voucher value, look on ebay. The beaverbrook vouchers that have sold there have usually gone for less than £5... Granted its not worthless but its not really worth much...

For reference the Currys £50 off £100 vouchers they were available earlier this year went for £25-40 a throw....
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Originally posted by Bellona View Post

Second or even third tier watch fashion victim brands with big retail mark ups allowing 60% discounts sales.
              Breitling, Tissot, Longines, Rolex et al are watch brands!

Gucci and Michael Kors are fashion brands.

Although tbh the mark up on anything sold in a Jewellery shop is pretty huge.
              For anything listed at >£100 you should be able to get substantial discount - 2for1 etc.

I wouldn't bother with cheap tat but even then buying a few items should give you some haggle room.

Comment

Originally posted by Dactylion View Post
                Breitling, Tissot, Longines, Rolex et al are watch brands!

Gucci and Michael Kors are fashion brands.
                Agree to a degree. I tend to look at what I like, what suits me, and what I can afford rather than brand per se but I like different watches for different occasions/purposes and I could only afford one Tissot and Breitling, whereas I have more than 1 Kors and Gucci - and to some people these are luxury brands : it depends on your circumstance/age etc., so I think the term fashion victim is a bit harsh.

But, each to their own, we all reward ourselves differently

Looks like the bin is definitely beckoning

Comment

Working...
                X