• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you do it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you do it?

Good day chaps and chappettes. I’ve been reading these pages for at least 5 years now and have relied on them for some great information and laughs. Today, I am going to post my first question, because I would really appreciate an opinion from as wide an audience as possible. Please, I’m not being silly when I ask this question, so could you be as serious as you can with your replies as I’m finding it difficult reconciling myself. Here we go…………..

I’ve been employed in IT for over 18 years. I’ve been a PM for over 8 years now and am currently working in the public sector. In short, I have:

• My health and sanity.
    • No dependants and don’t see myself settling down.
    • Multiple rental properties, all paid off outright and paying a good rent.
    • No outstanding mortgages or rents to pay off.
    • Well in excess of £1M in cash, stocks and shares, and other easily sold assets.

Here’s the rub. I’m 43 and am thinking of retiring. I can’t possibly spend what I have, you can’t take it with you, I have no expensive habits and the voices in my head say just do it. My plans at the moment are to travel around the southern hemisphere between November to March and just enjoy it. In April, I would come back to Blighty and just do whatever I wanted to do and quite possibly do some more travelling in the northern hemisphere.

Any thoughts? Am I too young? Would I miss working? Would you do it? Can you give me any sanity? Any suggestions for my spare time back in Blighty (other than cycling, shooting, cycling, cooking, gardening and drinking, which I already do), would be much appreciated?

Well, I'd move out of Swindon for a start.

Comment

Hi SAS

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
        Hi SAS
        Do you know, I made it a toss-up between Dim and Sas, but Sas has dependents.

Comment

so could you be as serious as you can with your replies
          You had me up until there. This is General, dammit, blimey, next thing you know you'll be asking about climate change....
          My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfie the lurcher View Post
            I can’t possibly spend what I have,
            Oh dear, your problem seems to be lack of any sort of imagination.
            World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by Alfie the lurcher View Post
              Any suggestions for my spare time back in Blighty (other than cycling, shooting, cycling, cooking, gardening and drinking, which I already do), would be much appreciated?
              Bleeding radiators?

Comment

Too right. If I was loaded, I'd retire tomorrow.

Comment

Get a job!!!

You will live longer as you won't be able to drink too much and take too many drugs.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

No. I have too much to offer and there are too many failing projects that need saving the Suity way.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X