• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Still able to dodge tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still able to dodge tax

Seems like after the Autumn Statement there was no changes that make it more difficult to dodge tax by paying dividends/low salary, hurrah!!!! Chooo Chooo

Depends what this bit actually means, I thought:

But alongside those paying the most tax are those who try to avoid paying their fair share of tax.

So today we set out in detail the largest package of measures to tackle tax avoidance, tax evasion, fraud and error so far this Parliament.

Together it will raise over £9 billion over the next five years.

We’re going to tackle the growth of intermediaries disguising employment as false self employment, depriving workforces of basic employment rights like the minimum wage in a bid to avoid employer national insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
      It means 'we're going to continue pissing away too much money like almost every government has done since 1945 and you lot are going to pay for it'.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
        Seems like after the Autumn Statement there was no changes that make it more difficult to dodge tax by paying dividends/low salary, hurrah!!!! Chooo Chooo
        Even so, paying yourself the minimum wage may flag you up for an IR35 review. So it would be prudent to pay somewhat more and hopefully stay off the radar.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          It means 'we're going to continue pissing away too much money like almost every government has done since 1945 and you lot are going to pay for it'.
          What pisses me off most is the way they're still trying to conflate tax avoidance and tax evasion

I smell Lib Dem vermin behind that
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            tulip. How silly of me, for some reason when it's written down rather than wafting out of his gob it appears as though there is something of substance about it.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Even so, paying yourself the minimum wage may flag you up for an IR35 review. So it would be prudent to pay somewhat more and hopefully stay off the radar.
              I would be happier if they increased corporation tax for 1 man Ltd companies by 1% and then repeal IR35. Much cleaner and easier.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                This was already posted by someone. It refers to companies using workers who claim they are self-employed.

Examples given were people working in Duty Free shops and other low paid roles. The only way that could be construed to include you is if you have a Ltd (the intermediary), but rather than taking a salary you instead say that you are self-employed and invoice your Ltd.

EDIT: Although these people may be avoiding NIC, if they had LTDs then they would almost certainly be IR35 caught. "Yes, I work in a shop, just like anybody employed in any other shop, they give me a uniform I must wear, shifts I must work, I must do the work in a certain way and present the image of the shop, but really, I'm not employed by them!".

These people will have minimal employee NICs, but their employers will now have to pay NICs, and actually give them some rights.
                Last edited by Ticktock; 5 December 2013, 13:22.

Comment

I pay no UK tax whatsoever. It's just too expensive for my liking.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    I pay no UK tax whatsoever. It's just too expensive for my liking.
                    German tax isn't exactly cheap either, but I get the impression it isn't wasted with quite the same decadence as Dutch tax or British tax.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X