• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Autumn Statement - Details

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autumn Statement - Details

The full document is here https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ement_2013.pdf

2.129 Employment intermediaries facilitating false self-employment – The government
    will amend existing legislation to prevent employment intermediaries being used to avoid
    employment taxes by disguising employment as self employment. The government will consult
    on strengthening existing legislation to ensure the correct amount of tax and NICs are paid
    where the worker is, in effect, employed, with effect from April 2014. (Finance Bill 2014) (35

Same weasel words as the Dutch government. Nothing to do with 'false employment', everything to do with a desperation for revenues. Best of luck to all of you.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Same weasel words as the Dutch government. Nothing to do with 'false employment', everything to do with a desperation for revenues. Best of luck to all of you.
      Will now have to wait for the draft finance Act 2014 due to be published on Tuesday 10th December.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Sounds like that would apply only to agencies employing temps, rather than Ltd companies
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Cash accounting

Bring back cash accounting and everyone will be happy.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Sounds like that would apply only to agencies employing temps, rather than Ltd companies
            Personally until I see what is written I'm not betting on anything.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Indeedy. Doubt the self-employed they will be targeting will see this as much of a 'benefit' if it lands them without a job.

Comment

Biggest disappointment for me was that Business Rates (already outta whack) are still going to go up! At my present office - my rates bill is more than my rent!

Nuts.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                  Biggest disappointment for me was that Business Rates (already outta whack) are still going to go up! At my present office - my rates bill is more than my rent!

Nuts.
                  Biggest disappointment for me was that you condoned this behavior:

This could be you

Driving like an arse
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

HMRC gave a response to PCG's request for clarification

https://www.pcg.org.uk/news-events/n...8661825539#%21

HMRC CLARIFIES CHANCELLOR’S STATEMENT ON FALSE SELF-EMPLOYMENT TO PCG

6TH DECEMBER 2013BY PCG

PCG, the membership organisation for freelancers, has received clarification directly from HMRC that the measures designed to combat false self-employment announced by the Chancellor in yesterday’s Autumn Statement will not target the legitimately self-employed.

A HMRC spokesperson told PCG:

“We wanted to clarify that the measures are targeting mass-marketed schemes, where workers can be moved en-masse into self-employment, even though they should be employed. Often the workers are low-paid and unaware that they are being engaged on a self-employed basis until they try to claim employment rights. The measure is designed to stop this from happening.”

Simon McVicker, PCG’s Director of Policy and Public Affairs, today welcomed the news;

“It is comforting to hear that the measures will be confined to a specific problem area and will not affect legitimately self-employed contractors and freelancers. It is also very encouraging to see HMRC engaging in clear and open dialogue with the bodies that represent freelancers and small businesses in order to clarify the situation so quickly.”

More information on the measures outlined in the Chancellor’s Autumn Statement designed to tackle the growth of intermediaries disguising employment as false self-employment, including a technical consultation and draft legislation, will be published on 10th December 2013.
                    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Working...
                    X