• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

10% Corporation Tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10% Corporation Tax

Just scanning through the Autumn Statement doc and something caught my eye.

I think perhaps I should make up a training methodology and patent it. I certainly do have my own idea of how to engage with a business, plan, create and deliver training - whether it's unique enough for a patent isn't something I'd ever thought about before.

Although I doubt very much that anyone would want to buy a licence for my fly-by-night cowboy highly professional way of doing things, if I could get my contracts to include "Provision of training services using the Ticktock Training Methodology" then potentially I'd only need to pay 10% Corporation Tax on the profits, thanks to the Patent Box.

Might give me something to think about and research over Christmas I guess.

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post

Might give me something to think about and research over Christmas I guess.
    You should also patent the process you follow to do the research. And the thinking about it.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I didn't bother deleting this after doing a very quick search and finding that you can't patent a business process in UK or EU. I did expect more mocking though.

Comment

Any profession that can come up with names like Rhino Mocks deserves more mocking
        Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
          I think perhaps I should make up a training methodology and patent it.
          You'd need to get UK or EU patent for this, something that you may find very difficult (especially in UK).

In USA it's much easier but those patents ain't allowed under patent box. This whole thing was designed to give stealth corp tax cut to big pharma - they do have genuine patents so they can stay onshore and pay very nice low rate of tax.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            You'd need to get UK or EU patent for this, something that you may find very difficult (especially in UK).

In USA it's much easier but those patents ain't allowed under patent box. This whole thing was designed to give stealth corp tax cut to big pharma - they do have genuine patents so they can stay onshore and pay very nice low rate of tax.
            Yes, that's exactly what I spotted - the US allow patents like this, but not UK or EU.

Comment

Working...
            X