• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dice roll probability

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dice roll probability

Okay, I am helping write a game and am stumped trying to figure out the probabilities when rolling dice.

I need to roll a set number of dice and count how many 1s and 2s there are (the rolls are not added together). The tricky bit is that rolling a 1 allows another die to be rolled, if that rolls a 1 another die is rolled etc.

Can anyone tell me the equation I need to calculate these probabilities?

Also what would the average number of 1s and 2s rolled if I have a varying number of starting dice?
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Depends on the dice

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
      Okay, I am helping write a game and am stumped trying to figure out the probabilities when rolling dice.

I need to roll a set number of dice and count how many 1s and 2s there are (the rolls are not added together). The tricky bit is that rolling a 1 allows another die to be rolled, if that rolls a 1 another die is rolled etc.

Also what would the average number of 1s and 2s rolled if I have a varying number of starting dice?
      Sorry I couldn't help earlier.
      My instinct tells me this a series type problem but I'm afraid my maths is to old and rusty.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Ts pretty simple, how many sides do each die have?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          My instinct tells me this a series type problem but I'm afraid my maths is to old and rusty.
          So is your spelling

Comment

I'm not sure I understand the question.

Are you asking what the probability is of rolling n 1s in a row, where there are multiple dice to begin with?

So, for example, you roll six dice, and three land as 1s.
            So you then roll those three dice again and get one land as a 1.
            So you roll that one die, get a 1.
            Roll it again and get a 4, so your sequence stops.

Something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              No probs, thanks for trying :-)

Originally posted by RedSauce View Post
              Ts pretty simple, how many sides do each die have?

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
              I'm not sure I understand the question.

Are you asking what the probability is of rolling n 1s in a row, where there are multiple dice to begin with?

So, for example, you roll six dice, and three land as 1s.
              So you then roll those three dice again and get one land as a 1.
              So you roll that one die, get a 1.
              Roll it again and get a 4, so your sequence stops.

Something like that?
              Yes, pretty much. It is a skill resolution system for an RPG.

Each roll of a 1 or 2 is a 'success'. The higher your skill level the more dice you roll.

So if something has a difficulty of 4 you need 4 successes when you roll.

If you roll 6 dice and get 111256 you have 4 successes
              You roll 3 more dice as you have 3 1s and get 123 you now have 4+2 successes.
              You roll 1 more die as you had 1 1 and get a 2 you now have 4+2+1 = 7success and your rolling stops.

I am trying to work out the probability equation that lies behind this mechanic to answer the following type of questions:

If someone has a skill of 2 (allowing 4 dice as you get 2 per skill level) what is the chance of them getting 3 successes?

If someone rolls, say, 6 dice what is the average number of successes they roll?

Comment

If i have understood correctly surely the probability is:

1/s^n

where s is number of sides and n is the number of dice

EDIT: edit that is for getting the same number each time, can easily be changed for matching multiple
                Last edited by RedSauce; 5 December 2013, 16:03.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSauce View Post
                  If i have understood correctly surely the probability is:

1/s^n

where s is number of sides and n is the number of dice

EDIT: edit that is for getting the same number each time, can easily be changed for matching multiple
                  But isn't that just for a known amount of dice being rolled?

A 1 causes another separate dice roll here.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post

I know you said "allows", but if a 1 compels that dice to be rolled again, and so on, then the chance of any 1s in the end must be zero, and that means the (equal) chance of any of 2 to 6 must be 1/5. If that helps (I suspect not).

Maybe you should explain more precisely the situation whose odds you're after.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X