• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie with first contract offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie with first contract offer

Hi,

Just been offered my first contract following a permie career and redundancy at the end of the summer.

As a newbie I will have a pile of 'dumb' questions and wanted to pick an online accountancy company who will be able to assist here. I have a limited company so my questions will be largely related to expenses. I hear generally good things about Crunch although some of the contractors that I know use smaller independent accountants. Would appreciate any steer that people may have in this area.

Ta!

Welcome Beardy!

You'll find a lot of answers to your questions within the CUK website.

On the right you'll find CUK Navigation. >>>>>>>>>

Look down and you'll come to the First Timers section. Have a read through there.

Then pay particular attention to IR35.

Basic expenses questions answered here: http://www.contractoruk.com/expenses/

If you go into the Accounting/Legal forum you'll discover the thread Basic advice when running your own contractor business.

Guide to Contracts also has some good articles.

Happy reading!
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Thanks Cojak,

I had a quick review of the CUK content a while back and was very impressed. With my imminent contract I will have a more focused read over the next few days.

Comment

Originally posted by Beardy View Post
        Thanks Cojak,

I had a quick review of the CUK content a while back and was very impressed. With my imminent contract I will have a more focused read over the next few days.
        The other one worth reading is PCG's Guide to Freelancing (https://www.pcg.org.uk/going-freelance) which looks at it rather more widely. The thing to remember is that being a contractor is your job, so learn as much about it as you can.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

It's worth calling a few firms and talking to them as it'll give you something to compare, and you may be able to talk to the actual person you'll be dealing with too which is nice as you'll then be sure you can then get on with them.

If nothing else you can get a lot of free advice, even you decide to then go elsewhere.
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Beardy View Post
            Hi,

Just been offered my first contract following a permie career and redundancy at the end of the summer.

As a newbie I will have a pile of 'dumb' questions and wanted to pick an online accountancy company who will be able to assist here. I have a limited company so my questions will be largely related to expenses. I hear generally good things about Crunch although some of the contractors that I know use smaller independent accountants. Would appreciate any steer that people may have in this area.

Ta!
            Hi Beardy,
            As the other posters mentioned you will find a wealth of information on the forum. However if you have any specific questions regarding your future business then most accountants will offer a free consultation to understand your business requirements and explain the ins and outs of your limited company set-up and management. Speaking to someone directly always has its advantages and they may also bring up topics you have not yet considered.

For your first year you may want to use an accountant rather than rely on the online portals so you always have direct access should questions arise during the year.

Comment

Working...
            X