• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Finally got around to getting the complete series via iTunes and been watching it on the iPad while travelling. The book is one of my all time favorites.

Bloody hell. I'd heard it was good but it was still a shock just how good it was. They really don't make telly like that any more. Smiley could have been based on Alec Guinness, he was that good in it. Got Smileys People lined up next.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Finally got around to getting the complete series via iTunes and been watching it on the iPad while travelling. The book is one of my all time favorites.

Bloody hell. I'd heard it was good but it was still a shock just how good it was. They really don't make telly like that any more. Smiley could have been based on Alec Guinness, he was that good in it. Got Smileys People lined up next.

I have been listening to the BBC radio adaptations this week or so.
    Really good, engaging, proper stories.

They're doing The Honourable Schoolboy now.

Comment

Silly question, because I'm sure the answer is yes, but you know there was also a recent film Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011) ?

All the cast were good, but Gary Oldman and John Hurt were especially memorable, playing Smiley and C respectively.

and the whole setup and ambience of "the Circus" was just how it must have been at the time (and most likely for the most part still is).
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Silly question, because I'm sure the answer is yes, but you know there was also a recent film Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011) ?

All the cast were good, but Gary Oldman and John Hurt were especially memorable, playing Smiley and C respectively.

and the whole setup and ambience of "the Circus" was just how it must have been at the time (and most likely for the most part still is).
        I did, and have seen it. It was very good, but just because of the length there was a lot of background detail left out. 2 hour film vs 7 1 hour TV episodes. The film gave you a flavour of the time, the series put you right there and was much closer to the book. In fact it was pretty much verbatim with minimal changes for TV. The sequence where Jim Prideux gets shot is entirely different in the film to the book and series for example and takes up almost half of one episode.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
        X