• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mandela

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mandela

For Some reason Sean Thomas can't get this published in his telegraph blog

How I am even sadder about Mandela than anyone else

I don’t know about you, but I’m sitting here with tears streaming down my face, onto the table, then falling onto the floor. I’ve been crying for the last sixteen hours without cease. Tear after tear after tear.

He’s gone.

Madiba.

He’s left us.

The world, for me, is a shadowy place now, a colder darker more hostile place with no light and total darkness everywhere. Things seem muffled, subdued. Eerily empty. It is like the tiny animals, the squirrels in our parks, are putting their little paws together and praying, in total silence. And also the pigeons.

And still we weep.

Personally, I never met Nelson Mandela, but in a very real sense I met him. He was like a father to me. He was also like a brother, an uncle, a stepfather, a halfbrother, a second cousin, a best friend, a sibling, a nephew, a great uncle, a great great great grandfather, an ancestor, a cheery taxi driver, a friendly neighbour, he was the owner of the cornershop of the world who always knew to save you the last packet of Hobnobs. The Chocolate Hobnobs of Global Reconciliation.

And now he’s gone. Madiba. And I weep my tears, and the weeping will not stop, and the stopping of the tears will not arrive, and the carpet below me is now actually wet from my tears and will need to be shampooed.

But even though he’s gone, he has not gone, because he is still here, even as I reach for more tissues, because his example will be there for all time.

Nelson Mandela was not just the greatest politician of the 20th century, I firmly believe he was the greatest human being of the 20th century. But Nelson Mandela wasn’t just the greatest human being of the the 20th century, no, I firmly believe he was the greatest vertebrate organism in the history of evolution.

And yet, Nelson “Madiba” Mandela was so much more than that. He wasn’t just the greatest vertebrate organism, he was something else too. Something that is perhaps beyond words.

But I am going to have a go anyway.

In a very real sense, Nelson Mandela was probably the greatest thing in the entire history of the observable universe, and it is for this that I believe he will be remembered – remembered with smiles and tears and laughter, long after the sun has exploded into a huge ball of burning helium consuming the earth and destroying everything thereupon.

And this is why I weep. Because today is a time for tears. My tears. My tears of sadness. Because I am so very sad. And I am even sadder about this than any of you, which is why I am, perhaps, in a pure and very humble sense, slightly better than you.

So let us remember, with tears and silence and reflection. And then let us pray, before the hacking sobs really kick in.
    I can't see the problem personally....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

whilst in later life he was a great man and it is indeed a sad day

in his earlier life he pursued his goals with terrorist activities

Comment

And in other news today, the death of Nelson Mandela has led to a global frenzy of saying really stupid things on the internet.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        whilst in later life he was a great man and it is indeed a sad day

in his earlier life he pursued his goals with terrorist activities
        One man´s terrorist and all that...

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          And in other news today, the death of Nelson Mandela has led to a global frenzy of saying really stupid things on the internet.
          Is that suity's excuse? Overcome with grief?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            One man´s terrorist and all that...
            indeed - and I am not saying his goals were not worth fighting for either

Comment

I always liked Ricky Gervais Mandela joke:

Ricky Gervais - Nelson Mandela - YouTube

Comment

It's a little ironic that he achieved most by being locked away for decades with little contact with the outside world.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  It's a little ironic that he achieved most by being locked away for decades with little contact with the outside world.
                  Yep, but the big moment came when he was released and SA was literally on the edge of civil war. He could have stoked things up in revenge for his time in prison, but he didn't. He talked peace and forgiveness and saved a lot of lives when he did that.

Comment

Thousands are said to be gathering outside Nelson Mandela's house. ...... ....... Del Boy and Rodney have told them to F-off

Comment

Working...
                    X