• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You know Britain is becoming poorer, the people broke, when

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know Britain is becoming poorer, the people broke, when

Lidl's expands faster than Waitrose & Sainsburys combined. Forget the credit ratings agencies, this is a far more realistic barometer of how screwed we are.

What does Lidl's expansion tell us about modern Britain?

walmart worker
    Walmart caused uproar when it organised a food drive for its own employees. Photograph: Tim Boyle/Getty Images
    I was about 16 when a Lidl supermarket first opened in my home town. I soon discovered that it was possible to purchase there bottles of sweet cherry liquor; potent enough to get me drunk, but sufficiently saccharine to disguise the taste of alcohol. Lidl will forever be associated for me with that illicit drink in its tacky rouge bottle. I was reminded of it this week, after the supermarket announced it is to more than double the amount of stores in the UK – from 600 to 1,350.

The news led me to wonder whether Lidl's appeal now extends beyond cherry-addled teenagers and to that holy grail of the advertising executive, the ordinary family. When I was growing up, Lidl and its counterpart Aldi were acceptable for the surreptitious purchase of cheap booze, but acutely embarrassing for anyone whose parents actually shopped there. The expansion of stores across the UK is a self-conscious rejoinder to any lingering embarrassment, with boss Ronny Gottschlich announcing he wants to target "Maidstone mums" who are "no longer afraid to be seen in a Lidl store".

What can we infer from Lidl's foray into everyday British life – that something once a source of ignominy has become normalised? We can begin by examining why shopping at Lidl was ever something to be ashamed of: it wasn't a reflection of taste; Lidl was shameful because it was a signal of poverty. But low-price supermarket chains are now benefiting from the downturn for obvious reasons. Note that the keeping-up-with-the-Joneses instincts that might once have deterred families from shopping there are not overcome because we're any less brand-conscious; but because now the Joneses are skint as well. For all the government rhetoric about recovery, it seems the British public are still spending like it's 2008.

It's also worth asking what effect Lidl's expansion has on working, as well as consumer, habits. The NHS has always been Britain's biggest employer with 1.7 million workers, but cutbacks to the public sector mean that supermarkets (nearly 1 million workers and counting) could well catch up. A country once defined by universal free healthcare could soon be known for its economy of vast, alienating monoliths, whose staff barely survive on poverty wages. As a 2012 report by the Fair Pay Network noted, the four big supermarkets – Asda, Sainsbury's, Tesco and Morrisons – enjoyed rising executive wages and huge profits while their staff were living in poverty. Only one in seven supermarket employees are paid a living wage or higher. Couple that with a sharp rise in food banks and it's not outlandish to suppose that supermarket employees are selling food to be donated to food banks, only to visit those food banks later and have the same food given back to them. In fact, in Ohio, Asda's American equivalent Walmart caused a furore when a Cleveland store organised a food drive for its own employees.

The growth of Lidl doesn't merely say something about the extent of belt-tightening happening in Britain right now; it says something about the consequences of eroding the public sector. Once well-paid, stable work with decent terms and conditions is gradually being replaced by minimum-wage, erratic jobs.

In the coming days, government ministers might welcome Lidl's expansion as a sign of recovery. They might hail the creation of jobs as a sign that people's living standards are improving. What they won't do is look at what the replacement of good jobs with low-paid unstable work says about the country, and that where once Lidl was a sign of poverty for individual families, it may soon become a symbol for the endemic poverty of a nation.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

or maybe just maybe people are bored of being ripped off and 'supermarket snobbery' has dissapeared up it's own arse

i mean seriously food is food no matter where it is bought from

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Lidl's expands faster than Waitrose & Sainsburys combined. Forget the credit ratings agencies, this is a far more realistic barometer of how screwed we are.

Nope it shows that cheap goodish quality food is something people are willing to buy and that possible other shops are more expensive.

Bar that its a leftwing rich middle class twerp being a leftwing rich middle class twerp ....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Some more illogical gumph
        So does that mean Germany is much poorer than Britain because most people shop in these chains?
        I took my German brother-in-law to Waitrose once and he though he'd gone to heaven.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

I've been in Tesco and I've been in Lidl and Lidl has better customer service.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            or maybe just maybe people are bored of being ripped off and 'supermarket snobbery' has dissapeared up it's own arse
            Yep. Although we buy most meat from the butcher (except the NZ venison from Lidl which is just fine), I'm happy buying basic foodstuffs from Lidl. They often have good deals on cheap cycling gear too, and although I buy the best quality helmets, shoes and bike parts that I can afford from a good bike shop, I'm not interested in paying a premium to show off someone else's brand name on my shirt or shorts and I certainly don't care if the neighbourhood see me unloading Lidl bags from the car boot.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

chantenay carrots 49p.
              Brocili 49p

both tastier than Tesco or Sainsburys.

even the MIL asks me to get stuff from Aldi / Lidl sometimes.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

i mean seriously food is food no matter where it is bought from
                My local supermarket is Waitrose. They're so far up their own arse its cheaper to eat out every night than it is to buy fresh ingredients and cook it yourself. You can also buy bottles of beer there for the same price as buying it at the pub up north.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  So does that mean Germany is much poorer than Britain because most people shop in these chains?
                  I took my German brother-in-law to Waitrose once and he though he'd gone to heaven.
                  ...until he got to the till.

Or wait, is Waitrose one of the cheaper ones? I don't know the English shops well any more.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    I think he missed a bigger fundamental issue. If you are new and not everywhere in the country its easy to expand rapidly as the next town is another new market. Once you are in every town of the country how do you keep expanding.....

Oh and I don't want a Waitrose. Give me Booths any day......
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X