• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract advert of the day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract advert of the day

Why is it half the market rate?

Dear XXX,

.NET Developer - 2-3 Month contract - London (Sutton) - £200 per day

My London Based client has developed a requirement for a .NET developer to join their development team on an international project.

The successful candidate will be working on large scale web based application for a global leader within their prospective field.

Requirements:

Minumum 2 years experience on .NET 3.5
    .NET
    C# 3.5
    ASP.NET
    CSS

Experience in Financial or government sector projects would be desirable

To apply please send through your updated c.v

With regards

Daniel Fraser
    Computer Futures
    33 Soho Square
    London
    United Kingdom
    W1D 3QU

2 years experience

Comment

Originally posted by RedSauce View Post
      2 years experience
      Minimum it says, but that's all they will get, pay peanuts get monkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
        Minimum it says, but that's all they will get, pay peanuts get monkeys.
        Aah its from our old friends at Computer Futures, I expect their 50-100% mark up on the rate is the reason its £200 rather than £300/400 a day

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
          Aah its from our old friends at Computer Futures, I expect their 50-100% mark up on the rate is the reason its £200 rather than £300/400 a day
          Could be, but as a pimp myself a few things like this have bounced my way, client is adamant that this is what they will pay, sometimes because the contractor is being sold on and a silly rate was agreed on and the person who will have to use the end result has no say in what they get.

Years ago I was sold on like that for a week, part of the deal was that they got "someone like me", there was no spec, not even an ambition that I might actually do anything useful, but the contract said a consultant for a week and that was me, the rate was good, but that was nothing to do with it.

Also there is the idea of a "trainee contractor", which many here will see as contradiction, but occasionally there is a role for someone who needs to change track from a dying skillset and has read the books but hasn't done the new thing in real life.

Back when I had a real job I hired a couple of contractors on that basis, both sides came out ahead.

...or it could be the other way round. I have noticed that when the client is very insistent about the high level of skills, 3 years experience of Windows Server 2013, 1sts from both Oxford and Cambridge, etc they often pay badly because they begrudge paying "techies" and thus want everything they could possibly wish for. Sadly the star they wish upon is a meteor come to destroy them.
          My 12 year old is walking 26 miles for Cardiac Risk in the Young, you can sponsor him here

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic Connor View Post
            Could be, but as a pimp myself a few things like this have bounced my way, client is adamant that this is what they will pay, sometimes because the contractor is being sold on and a silly rate was agreed on and the person who will have to use the end result has no say in what they get.

Years ago I was sold on like that for a week, part of the deal was that they got "someone like me", there was no spec, not even an ambition that I might actually do anything useful, but the contract said a consultant for a week and that was me, the rate was good, but that was nothing to do with it.

Also there is the idea of a "trainee contractor", which many here will see as contradiction, but occasionally there is a role for someone who needs to change track from a dying skillset and has read the books but hasn't done the new thing in real life.

Back when I had a real job I hired a couple of contractors on that basis, both sides came out ahead.

...or it could be the other way round. I have noticed that when the client is very insistent about the high level of skills, 3 years experience of Windows Server 2013, 1sts from both Oxford and Cambridge, etc they often pay badly because they begrudge paying "techies" and thus want everything they could possibly wish for. Sadly the star they wish upon is a meteor come to destroy them.
            Great phrase!

Comment

Great phrase!
              True dat, I had a pimp contact me out of the blue recently to try and sell me a £200 a day senior dev role in the midlands on the basis that the reason why the rate was so low was that the client had lots of work on and several large projects and were offering 12 month contracts with high probability of extensions, hence the lower rate reflect the stability of the role! ... beggars belief... So the selling point was a longer commitment for a lower rate working on a project where the client values their techies so little that they want to pay them half the market rate?, I imagine the projects a nightmare (probably surrounded by a load of bobs with any half decent dev swamped and dealing with tulip from all sides)...needless I told him to jog on.

Comment

Do firms still do this knowing they'll get no takers, enabling them to get Bobs?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  Do firms still do this knowing they'll get no takers, enabling them to get Bobs?
                  And our survey says.........
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

What's the "market rate"?

Comment

Working...
                    X