• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Folding bike

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Folding bike

Anyone got one?

Seems standard size bikes on trains can be a bit of a nightmare if you get a stroppy guard etc. Folding bike seems the ideal solution to getting it on the train and then getting last mile or two to client site.

Looking at them they seem to range from about £200 to £2000. Assuming the £200 one are crap, dead heavy etc.

What are they like to ride? Seem a bit weird with small wheels etc. My cycling experience is one of got a bike in garage, used about 3 times.

Any recommendations for an unfit, overweight slug? Want something that is easy to ride (very important) , is easy to fold up etc (don't want to be there ages etc), doesn't weight a ton when you've got to carry it, and doesnt cost a fortune (i.e. £2K seems a bit steep!).

EDIT - cool. Just saw an electric bike. Great I don't have to pedal! Or won't it carry my large butt without pedalling a bit?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

I've been using a folding bike for a few years. The way I look at it, I don't really care about the quality as it's just for getting to/from work.

The first one I bought was a cheap and cheerfull, £120, and only lasted a year. I was spending approx £100 a month on tube fair mind so even though it didn't last too long, it was still a worthwhile investment.I could also get from Hampstead to Euston quicker on the bike than the tube so was catching an earlier train home as well.
    If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

EDIT - cool. Just saw an electric bike. Great I don't have to pedal! Or won't it carry my large butt without pedalling a bit?
      No, you still have to pedal and you'll look like an OAP. Anyway, man up, do the pedalling and you'll get thinner and fitter.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

There is a cheap french version

Le cycle menstruel
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I worked with a guy that had one, he was a complete knob, put me off for life

Comment

I am into the 4th year of my decathlon btwin city hopper for about £250. its my throw-about-commuter and winter bike and its great fun.

If you think the cheaper ones are crap and dead heavy I'd suggest you look at your legs as an area for improvement.

Comment

It is true that the small wheels make it less stable. Even scratching your nose can be a wobbly operation.

You could just get a cheap full-size bike and park it at the destination.

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                If you think the cheaper ones are crap and dead heavy I'd suggest you look at your legs as an area for improvement.
                I've asked here before on what extra you get for the more expensive ones, but nobody seemed to have a clue.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

You will find a folding bike will take up hardly any room gathering dust in the garage.

Unless you have significant hills or long distances I'd not bother with an electric one.

Comment

Working...
                  X