• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hmm - let them eat "Extra Special"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm - let them eat "Extra Special"

Community Shop 'social supermarket' opens with goods 70% cheaper than Tesco or Asda | Mail Online

Revolutionary 'social supermarket' opens with branded goods 70% cheaper than the likes of Tesco and Asda... but only people on benefits can shop there
    New Community Shop, the first of its kind, opens in Goldthorpe, Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Food reduced by as much as two thirds for shoppers struggling with poverty and on benefits
    Customers have to prove they are on benefits to take advantage of the rock-bottom prices
    Only 500 people can become members of the shop and access discounts, as well as help and support
    Project is backed by major retailers including Asda, Tesco, The Co-Op and M&S
    Shelves at the discount store are stocked daily with residual food not needed by large supermarket chains, because it might have damaged packaging or the wrong labelling. All the produce is within its sell-by date.

The new enterprise, overseen by food re-distributor Company Shop, is being supported by major retailers, brands and manufacturers, including Asda, Morrisons, The Co-operative Food, Marks & Spencer, Tesco, Mondelez, Ocado, Tetley, Young's and Muller.
    Good idea?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Good idea?
    "Shelves at the discount store are stocked daily with residual food not needed by large supermarket chains, because it might have damaged packaging or the wrong labelling. All the produce is within its sell-by date.

The new enterprise, overseen by food re-distributor Company Shop, is being supported by major retailers, brands and manufacturers, including Asda, Morrisons, The Co-operative Food, Marks & Spencer, Tesco, Mondelez, Ocado, Tetley, Young's and Muller."

Comment

Just been a segment about this on the OneShow.

There was controversy over the fact that lucky recipients had to be in receipt of benefits to qualify, when the current stats show that the working poor are growing in number, and the Salvation Army demand for food parcels has seen a huge increase.

I am in favour in principle - but deciding eligibility for the "deserving of help" should not necessarily be benefits driven : plenty of pensioners barely eating and working families too proud/ineligible for benefits surviving on a pittance.
      If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Originally posted by Bellona View Post
        Just been a segment about this on the OneShow.

There was controversy over the fact that lucky recipients had to be in receipt of benefits to qualify, when the current stats show that the working poor are growing in number, and the Salvation Army demand for food parcels has seen a huge increase.

I am in favour in principle - but deciding eligibility for the "deserving of help" should not necessarily be benefits driven : plenty of pensioners barely eating and working families too proud/ineligible for benefits surviving on a pittance.
        In terms of your final para.

I need hospital treatment for 3 days every month. Its as a day case. My hotel is paid for by the nhs but my transport isnt. Now I can happily afford the 200 quid trai ticket to get to london. Have to travel in peak hours. But for a lot of folk that wod be a big expense.

Help is available to those on benefits. But nowt to those on, for example, average or low wages.

Benefit receipt is not a good criteria for eligibilty for help. Some sort of affordibility test would be better in my view.

All typos copyright.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post

Benefit receipt is not a good criteria for eligibilty for help. Some sort of affordibility test would be better in my view.

All typos copyright.
          I agree, would seem fairer
          If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Working...
          X