• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best material to stuff in plaster screw holes prior to sanding flat and repainting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best material to stuff in plaster screw holes prior to sanding flat and repainting

I am removing some wooden shelves and the metal rails on which brackets supporting the shelves were fitted.

Once everything is off the wall, this of course will leave a neat grid of holes from where the screws supporting the rails have been removed.

So I was wondering what would be the best material a DIY novice could buy in somewhere like Homebase to stuff in these holes so that after drying it can easily be sanded flat.

The filler needs to dry fairly hard, but not so tough and "plasticy" (for want of a better word) that it's next to impossible to sand flat without at the same time scouring and wrecking the surrounding plaster surface.

I don't really want to be mixing my own plaster, although that might be the simplest approach for a pro.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Newspaper soaked in water always works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      So I was wondering what would be the best material a DIY novice could buy in somewhere like Homebase to stuff in these holes so that after drying it can easily be sanded flat.
      Polyfilla

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

The filler needs to dry fairly hard, but not so tough and "plasticy" (for want of a better word) that it's next to impossible to sand flat without at the same time scouring and wrecking the surrounding plaster surface.

I don't really want to be mixing my own plaster, although that might be the simplest approach for a pro.
        UniBond All Purpose No More Cracks Ready Mixed Filler

Used it a few ties. Dries pretty quickly and is also water resistant.

Dries "white" so easy to paint over
        Last edited by Bellona; 10 December 2013, 19:00. Reason: added line
        If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

as the filler dries (stiff to the touch) wipe over with a moist sponge (lightly) and you will get it smooth. Also sand when almost dry don't leave it for days. It's like cement and hardens over a few days.

Sometimes with deep holes its worth filling just 1-3 mm below the surface, leave to dry a few days then skim lightly with filler so there is very little to shrink.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
            That was my first thought, but ISTR from previous uses it is harder than plaster. So when sanded down (by me anyway) would tend leave a bump with the surrounding plaster scoured away.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Macaroni
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Macaroni
                With or without cheese ?
                If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Dry of course.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
                    Toothpaste.

Courtesy of the Zurich contractor-moving-out-of-apartment school of DIY.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X