• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Old, ugly and misshapen will be there to edukate you

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old, ugly and misshapen will be there to edukate you

Tesco: ugly and misshapen fruit and veg will go on special offer

" Misshapen fruit and vegetables which are thrown away by supermarkets will be put on special offer and the public need to be "educated" that it is good food, Tesco has said.

Matt Simister, the group food sourcing director at Tesco, said that British customers "always pick the cream of the crop" when they shop leaving "old, ugly and misshapen" produce to go to waste.

He said that the supermarket is exploring opportunities to put more products like wonky carrots and imperfect apples on offer to encourage people to buy them

He compared the preference of British shoppers produce which is "cosmetically" better to those in Eastern Europe, who are more prepared to buy misshapen produce. "

Source: Tesco: ugly and misshapen fruit and veg will go on special offer - Telegraph

Excellent idea - should help increase profit margins on products with good genetics sold next to those misfits.

Frau D. remarked on that the other day. She thinks UK supermarkets are really rather good but finds the grocery section really rather strange in that all the fruit and vegetables seem to be all grown to some uniform rule (*). She was asking what happens to those which don't fit the specifications. I just happened to mention that to find the rejected green groceries then she would need to go north or west of the English border

(* this started happening here but seems to have been strangled although German supermarkets are becoming considerably more like UK ones, for the better as they used to be crap and by crap I mean huge big elephant sized crap)
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

" Misshapen fruit and vegetables which are thrown away by supermarkets will be put on special offer and the public need to be "educated" that it is good food, Tesco has said.
      So, Tesco has a deal with the Fukushima farmers?

Freaky: Mutated fruits from the Fukushima area « NSMBL.com

Comment

I'm hoping for more like this

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
          So, Tesco has a deal with the Fukushima farmers?

Freaky: Mutated fruits from the Fukushima area « NSMBL.com
          If you grow or have grown your own fruit or veg you would know some of it has a really screwed up shape.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

" Misshapen fruit and vegetables which are turned away now by supermarkets will be bought at rock bottom prices from farmers then put on special offer (10% less than premium) and the public need to be "educated" that it is good food, A supermarket has said.
              FTFY

The misshapen ones end up in soup I suppose? Next thing is the supermarkets putting up soup and frozen veg because of the shortage. I strongly doubt farmers would take reject produce and throw it in the bin.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Maybe I'm part of the problem but I've always found supermarket fruit and veg to be overpriced and inferior to what you find at the likes of a weekly town market.
                Somebody is going to get filthy rich by opening the floodgates of crap fruit and veg with this kind of initiative, and I don't think the customer is going to save any money at all. Its going to be win-lose between the supermarkets and customers.

bah, humbug

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                  Maybe I'm part of the problem but I've always found supermarket fruit and veg to be overpriced and inferior to what you find at the likes of a weekly town market.
                  Somebody is going to get filthy rich by opening the floodgates of crap fruit and veg with this kind of initiative, and I don't think the customer is going to save any money at all. Its going to be win-lose between the supermarkets and customers.

bah, humbug
                  Some of the markets I use to buy from when I was slightly younger sold misshaped veg - then the owners of the market put the prices up so it wasn't worth the stall holders selling it.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                  X