• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bloody cyclists!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloody cyclists!

I'm one of them. This is what it's like in a busy town;

Video: Cyclist captures road rage with helmet cam - Telegraph

It would be nice if some folks would realise that beneath the lycra and dayglo there is a human being.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

The people pulling out / across in front of him looks bad.

Is there a reason why so much of his video shows a cycle lane that he isn't using? Either a cycle lane at the edge of the road, or towards the end a cycle lane on the pavement that he's ignoring.

Comment

The police are stationed all over my commute daily now - no more mamils woohoo !

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post

Is there a reason why so much of his video shows a cycle lane that he isn't using? Either a cycle lane at the edge of the road, or towards the end a cycle lane on the pavement that he's ignoring.
        Indeed a some of the bad behaviour is when he is on the road despite there being an acceptable cycle path.

But it is horrendous, some of those drivers should be prosecuted, even if the cyclist is an Ass then they have to remember he is very easy to kill or maim.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Indeed a some of the bad behaviour is when he is on the road despite there being an acceptable cycle path.

But it is horrendous, some of those drivers should be prosecuted, even if the cyclist is an Ass then they have to remember he is very easy to kill or maim.
          Indeed, and using a car to bully cyclists isn't big and hard, it's just sad. I ride the bike in summer, I use the car in winter and see plenty of nutcases. It was very foggy along the canal this morning and at the last moment I saw someone coming the other way in a white van, poor visibility and just a bit further back the fog was very thick, so I thought maybe he'd forgotten the lights, flashed my lights to warn him and got the big middle finger stuck up at me and of course he didn't turn his lights on. I sometimes think it's time to make psychological tests obligatory for driving licenses. If you can't keep your temper, even when someone's trying to be helpful, then you shouldn't be responsible for a 1.5 tonne lump of steel with a 100+HP motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
            The people pulling out / across in front of him looks bad.

Using cycle lanes isn't compulsory. The ones at the edge of the road give a false sense of security and force you to ride in the gutter in effect, where the worst of the road litter, drains and potholes are. Frequently they are so narrow as to make no difference to the way the traffic treats you and are blocked by parked vehicles causing you to have to swerve in and out of the main carriageway. It's safer to take prime position in a lane and ride with the rest of the traffic where they can see you and stop them trying to force their way past you because they assume being in the cycle lane means they can overtake regardless.

Cycle lanes on footpaths are worse in a lot of ways as pedestrians frequently ignore them altogether so you end up having to dodge them as well.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              Using cycle lanes isn't compulsory. The ones at the edge of the road give a false sense of security and force you to ride in the gutter in effect, where the worst of the road litter, drains and potholes are. Frequently they are so narrow as to make no difference to the way the traffic treats you and are blocked by parked vehicles causing you to have to swerve in and out of the main carriageway. It's safer to take prime position in a lane and ride with the rest of the traffic where they can see you and stop them trying to force their way past you because they assume being in the cycle lane means they can overtake regardless.

Cycle lanes on footpaths are worse in a lot of ways as pedestrians frequently ignore them altogether so you end up having to dodge them as well.
              Deliberately blocking up a public highway is illegal remember - and that is exactly what you are doing if you insist on blocking the traffic.

Just saying like

Also do cyclist actually pay road tax?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                Deliberately blocking up a public highway is illegal remember - and that is exactly what you are doing if you insist on blocking the traffic.

Just saying like

All valid points and the tax question is one to debate, but none of these justify the behaviour shown in the video, not that I'm suggesting you think they do.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  No it isn't. You are a legal road user, you are blocking the traffic if you sit in the middle of the road not moving.

That's about the dumbest argument you could choose to make, given that even some cars are exempt.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

But what's 'blocking traffic'? If heavy traffic is moving at 20mph (usually less in town) then a fit person on a racing bike can at least keep up and in fact can go faster. That's hardly blocking traffic is it?

Comment

Working...
                    X