• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bench regrets?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bench regrets?

I’ve seen RichardCranium’s pyjama’s thread mentioned on several threads so I got round to reading it end to end last night. It has some very insightful observations on the recruitment industry as well as being very thought provoking.

I find time on the bench great at first, getting jobs done you’ve not got to, catching up with friends and trips away for holidays. Eventually though well established routines start to break, and the constant CV submissions into black holes takes its toll and motivation begins to decline.

Depending on how long you are off the bench and your character you alternate between bursts of activity on CV writing, applications and networking and time saying ‘sod’ it I am going to enjoy myself doing what I enjoy and something will happen.

Then when a contract comes along and you are back at it in the work routines quicker than you’d choose and the opportunities have gone.

Quickly you start look back at your time on the bench and reflect on the the time you had and how you used it.

I am entering my third month on the bench and already I am compromising the time off by not just enjoying it by spending too much time on gig websites as the outcomes of that don’t correlate with time put in on them. I guess I work on the basis you have to put sufficient time in to give yourself the chance of getting a gig, if you don’t you could end up using more of the war chest than is necessary.

So I thought it would be interesting to discuss what are the bench time regrets we have to motivate myself and others to use the time more positively as sure enough it will be over at some point and we should make the most of it!

Ah RC's pyjama thread. A self indulgent piece that shows what personality traits you need to have to be a complete and utter failure as a contractor.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

WTF is bench time? Where can I get some?
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

I aim for 6 weeks bench between projects, I pretty much sleep for the first week/10 days especially if I have been working away, usually I fly to the house in Spain for this and have a total relax session, 2-3 weeks running round the country seeing friends and family, and then 2-3 weeks doing little jobs around the house, after that I really start to get bored so start looking for a contract while doing the jobs round the house
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Day 2 of bench is a sleep deprived haze of CBeebies with YG2 and washing her vomit sodden baby bedding.

Hoping YG 1 doesn't catch it as she's Ganesh / narrator in tomorrow's Key Stage 1 Bollyhem seasonal musical extravaganza.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Ah RC's pyjama thread. A self indulgent piece that shows what personality traits you need to have to be a complete and utter failure as a contractor.
            Hows that permie job going?

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
              Hows that permie job going?
              Paying better than contracting thanks for asking.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Paying better than contracting thanks for asking.
                If you can't earn more as a contractor, you're not cut out for it.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Started looking for a job after 3 months, should have waited 6 months and then could have had 9 months to 1 year on the bench

Actually I went permie in the end because it looked like I would have to travel to get a contract and I couldn't be bovvered.

I love not working....I can't get enough of it....I never ever get bored.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    If you can't earn more as a contractor, you're not cut out for it.
                    Contractors don't get shares. Taps nose.

Comment

Working...
                    X