• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bench regrets..things we should do whilst we can....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bench regrets..things we should do whilst we can....

I’ve seen RichardCranium’s pyjama’s thread mentioned on several threads so I got round to reading it end to end last night. It has some very insightful observations on the recruitment industry as well as being very thought provoking.

I find time on the bench great at first, getting jobs done you’ve not got to, catching up with friends and trips away for holidays. Eventually though well established routines start to break, and the constant CV submissions into black holes takes its toll and motivation begins to decline.

Depending on how long you are off the bench and your character you alternate between bursts of activity on CV writing, applications and networking and time saying ‘sod’ it I am going to enjoy myself doing what I enjoy and something will happen.

Then when a contract comes along and you are back at it in the work routines quicker than you’d choose and the opportunities have gone.

Quickly you start look back at your time on the bench and reflect on the the time you had and how you used it.

I am entering my third month on the bench and already I am compromising the time off by not just enjoying it by spending too much time on gig websites as the outcomes of that don’t correlate with time put in on them. I guess I work on the basis you have to put sufficient time in to give yourself the chance of getting a gig, if you don’t you could end up using more of the war chest than is necessary.

So I thought it would be interesting to discuss what are the bench time regrets we have to motivate myself and others to use the time more positively as sure enough it will be over at some point and we should make the most of it!

Not doing DIY and other little jobs while I had the time instead seeing friends and getting pissed.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Every bench time I try to sell all the junk/unused gifts/kids toys etc on eBay.

Last load going on today.

qh
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

qh
        Hahaha yes done that and it's paid for this year Xmas gifts!

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

qh
          Same here first job is go holiday then get rid of all the clutter then do a bit of DIY get all those jobs done that have been hanging around, go cycling/Gym every day because i can, then when i have nothing left get booked on a course do some learning and then finally make my job gettting a job.

you gotta have a system

Comment

Seriously do not understand those guys who are both benched, and have plenty of warchest for a few months, yet have panic attacks at home, claiming nothing to do.

1) I have a NEVER ending 'To-Do' list....it gets longer, constantly getting added to faster than I clear it down;

2) I LOVE leisure...lazing around a coffee shop, catching up on fan-fiction, or getting around to choosing what post-Soprano's series I want to spend 70 hours watching (yes, Breaking bad, I know, I know!!!), which probably explains #1....

This is all saying NOTHING about firming up my plans to GTFO of this crappy business.

I can understand (and have every sympathy and solidarity with) those poor fellas who got caught on the hop with sudden huge bills or something, but REALLY, don't tell me there's nothing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Gym beast View Post
              Seriously do not understand those guys who are both benched, and have plenty of warchest for a few months, yet have panic attacks at home, claiming nothing to do.

1) I have a NEVER ending 'To-Do' list....it gets longer, constantly getting added to faster than I clear it down;

2) I LOVE leisure...lazing around a coffee shop, catching up on fan-fiction, or getting around to choosing what post-Soprano's series I want to spend 70 hours watching (yes, Breaking bad, I know, I know!!!), which probably explains #1....

This is all saying NOTHING about firming up my plans to GTFO of this crappy business.

I can understand (and have every sympathy and solidarity with) those poor fellas who got caught on the hop with sudden huge bills or something, but REALLY, don't tell me there's nothing to do.
              I don't think its a case of having "nothing to do" it is more of case of motivation to do something.
              This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Bench time = Plan B on steroids.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                  Bench time = Plan B on steroids.
                  I'm trying to negotiate a month's gap off with my client after securing work for another whole year to manufacture bench time for precisely that reason.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    I'm trying to negotiate a month's gap off with my client after securing work for another whole year to manufacture bench time for precisely that reason.
                    Go for it!
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X