• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overseas property - Invest Build Sell On investments

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overseas property - Invest Build Sell On investments

Was looking at this Minha Casa Minha Vida social housing programme in Brazil where private investors stump up the development costs (£23k) of an individual housing unit which then gets sold on completion giving you a return of 20%.

There are a number of sites out there which can handle this for you like here, here and here

They all seem very keen to tell you that the number of people on the waiting list vastly outnumbers the supply etc and that the return is guaranteed & that your money is completely safe. Which makes me smell a rat - a bit like with those offshore accounting solutions.

One of them says "Market leading structure means that you have no risk of losing money" while dig a little deeper on another & they say "any investment has its associated risks, so we are legally unable to make any explicit ‘guarantee’". Hmm....

Have you? Would you? It does seem a good return - or would you not touch this with a barge pole?

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    Was looking at this Minha Casa Minha Vida social housing programme in Brazil where private investors stump up the development costs (£23k) of an individual housing unit which then gets sold on completion giving you a return of 20%.

There are a number of sites out there which can handle this for you like here, here and here

They all seem very keen to tell you that the number of people on the waiting list vastly outnumbers the supply etc and that the return is guaranteed & that your money is completely safe. Which makes me smell a rat - a bit like with those offshore accounting solutions.

One of them says "Market leading structure means that you have no risk of losing money" while dig a little deeper on another & they say "any investment has its associated risks, so we are legally unable to make any explicit ‘guarantee’". Hmm....

Have you? Would you? It does seem a good return - or would you not touch this with a barge pole?
    My mate did similar and lost his 15k deposit, and that was for a never built planned apartment block build that went bust after.

And that was in Leeds City Centre, 2007.....

Comment

Trouble with Brazil is getting your money out without paying a shed-load in taxes. Banks monitor transactions closely consequently a lot of payments are done in money. Even Lula's brother got caught with $100,000 stuffed down his keks at an airport when trying to leave the country.

If you're thinking about retiring to Brazil fair enough, but I wouldn't retire to Sergipe personally. I'll check with the wife but would banks monitor payments across states inside of Brazil? (If you wanted to retire somewhere else).

Comment

I wouldn't bother to make £4k from £20k.

Comment

definitely a bargepole job, but if you are interested I have some fabulous opportunities in carbon credits, strips of land and wine you will love....

Comment

Originally posted by Kanye View Post
            I wouldn't bother to make £4k from £20k.
            Better return than I'm getting in my cash ISA. Would consider a stocks and shares ISA but I'm not in for the long haul at the moment.

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
            definitely a bargepole job, but if you are interested I have some fabulous opportunities in carbon credits, strips of land and wine you will love....

Oh, go on then...

Comment

Working...
            X