PDA

View Full Version : Song ideas

NotAllThere
13th December 2013, 06:29
I'm looking for a finale song for a panto based on Snow White. It needs to be upbeat, preferably with a theme of good having the kingdom saved and everything's going to be really great from now on, but I can write new lyrics if the tune is really good (and inspiration strikes). It's a whole cast piece.

Any ideas?

So far I've been mulling over Irving Berlin's Blue Skies and Slade "Cum on feel the noize", but they're not quite right.

mudskipper
13th December 2013, 07:05
ELO - Mister Blue Sky
Elbow - One Day Like this

Old Greg
13th December 2013, 07:15
ELO - Mister Blue Sky

Is it for the CUK Christmas panto?

mudskipper
13th December 2013, 07:20
Is it for the CUK Christmas panto?

I think that deserves a separate thread!

Old Greg
13th December 2013, 07:28
I think that deserves a separate thread!

Get on it then.

mudskipper
13th December 2013, 07:34
Get on it then.

What did your last Buttons die of?

Old Greg
13th December 2013, 08:10
What did your last Buttons die of?

Accidentally drowned in a bucket.

Old Greg
13th December 2013, 08:11
I'm looking for a finale song for a panto based on Snow White. It needs to be upbeat, preferably with a theme of good having the kingdom saved and everything's going to be really great from now on, but I can write new lyrics if the tune is really good (and inspiration strikes). It's a whole cast piece.

Any ideas?

So far I've been mulling over Irving Berlin's Blue Skies and Slade "Cum on feel the noize", but they're not quite right.

Somewhere over the Rainbow?

DaveB
13th December 2013, 08:46

Any ideas?

Monkeys - I'm a believer

NotAllThere
13th December 2013, 09:53
Somewhere over the Rainbow?

Monkeys - I'm a believer
Used them both recently - but good choices.

ELO - Mister Blue SkyThat might well work. :smile

Elbow - One Day Like thisBit too slow.

minestrone
13th December 2013, 09:57
Wrecking Ball?

d000hg
13th December 2013, 10:15
Something by Snow Patrol that hasn't been done to death?

There's that great Eels song too, though it was used in Shrek...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJRbvgJhR-U

NotAllThere
13th December 2013, 13:15
Neither the Eels nor Wrecking Ball is upbeat enough really. But thanks for the suggestions.

hyperD
13th December 2013, 13:21
Electric Six - Gay Bar.

It'll be different but it's got a very upbeat tempo.

aardvark
13th December 2013, 13:21
Top of the World - Carpenters

TheBigD
13th December 2013, 13:27
Beastie boys - Fight for your right (to party)

Alias
13th December 2013, 13:33
Verve - Bitter sweet symphony ?

aardvark
13th December 2013, 14:15
Viva Las Vegas (Dead Kennedy's version :) )

Old Greg
13th December 2013, 17:40
Zippidy doodah (sp?) or Oh what a beautiful morning.

alluvial
13th December 2013, 18:45
How about Breath Of Life by Florence and The Machine?
Or even Love's First Kiss (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9zZMqIHrm8)?

DaveB
13th December 2013, 20:54
Walking on sunshine - Katrina and the waves

Alias
13th December 2013, 20:58
Anything by Rage against the Machine really :eyes

DaveB
13th December 2013, 20:58
Kool and the gang - celebration

Alias
13th December 2013, 20:59
Anything by Rage against the Machine really :eyes

can balance that with anything by the cardigans or the corrs :eyes

NotAllThere
14th December 2013, 06:03
I'd've liked to have used the one from Snowwhite and the Huntsman, but it's a bit too dark. Is the film any good?

Kool and the gang - celebration

I think we have a winner. That will work very nicely. Thanks.

alluvial
14th December 2013, 11:02
I'd've liked to have used the one from Snowwhite and the Huntsman, but it's a bit too dark. Is the film any good?

You're probably right.
Film was pretty shit anyway.

Glad you got a result.

Edit to say that the shit filter seems to have become a bit, well, shit. ;)

malvolio
14th December 2013, 12:20
Depends a bit on your voices, of course, but we used "We Go Together" from Grease this year. Interesting challenge learning the filler lines but a hell of a finale song if done with spirit. Also the finale version of "When Tomorrow Comes" from Les Mis works surprisingly well, as does Abba's "Thank You for the Music".

Modern stuff doesn't work IMHO, the sounds are all too pretty and they simply don't get chorale.

NotAllThere
14th December 2013, 18:46
Walking on sunshine was this year's finale.

Depends a bit on your voices, of course, but we used "We Go Together" from Grease this year. Interesting challenge learning the filler lines but a hell of a finale song if done with spirit. Also the finale version of "When Tomorrow Comes" from Les Mis works surprisingly well, as does Abba's "Thank You for the Music".

Modern stuff doesn't work IMHO, the sounds are all too pretty and they simply don't get chorale.We did "we go together 4 years ago"; still too early to do it again. I'd already thought of doing a song from Les Mis...

For the end of the first half, I've put Nightwish Storytime. The song before that is this rather catchy number:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g09gOh2qwug

We've also got Killer Queen, Old Fashioned Lover Boy, Comfortably Numb... We do have one modern song -Young Girl Talking About Herself - but that's because the Magic Mirror is a teenage girl (my daughter wrote the script).

minestrone
14th December 2013, 19:52
eh, you use comfortably numb in a kids panto?

Cliphead
14th December 2013, 20:40

Sign of the times

SantaClaus
14th December 2013, 22:25
ELO - Mister Blue Sky

If you're going down that route, there's always ELO - All Over The World for an upbeat song :smile

NotAllThere
15th December 2013, 07:24

You're confusing "family" with "kids" :) Panto isn't just for kids. Try watching one - usually they're full of filthy double entendres and political jokes (well, ours are). But yes, when Snow White bites the apple, she becomes "comfortably numb". What's inappropriate about that? :rolleyes:

MarillionFan
15th December 2013, 10:00
You're confusing "family" with "kids" :) Panto isn't just for kids. Try watching one - usually they're full of filthy double entendres and political jokes (well, ours are). But yes, when Snow White bites the apple, she becomes "comfortably numb". What's inappropriate about that? :rolleyes:

Beer beer we want more beer by the Macc Lads.