• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WTF is happening to the contract market?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF is happening to the contract market?

Haven't looked on JobServe or the like the for about 6 months and see this?

.NET / ASP.NET Developer
    Seeking a customer facing ASP.NET, C sharp developer. Ideally with knowledge of the financial or banking sectors you must be highly presentable as work may be on customer sites as well as possesing a solid 3yrs+ with .NET in a SQL Server environment. Flexible with your working style and very much a team player. Highly likely to roll on for a further term for the right candidate. MUST have very good English and communication skills, spoken and written.
    Type: Contract Location: SE London and City Country: United Kingdom Start: ASAP Salary/Rate: 200 pounds per day Posted: 13/08/2006 13:17:01 Reference: JS/Matty/NA

C# .NET/ASP.NET2/OOD/Developer
    I am looking for a very strong C#. NET Developer. A minimum of solid 2 years experience is required. You will have an excellent understanding of OOD and SQL Server 2000. You will come from a C++ or VC++ background, and have great OO/UML and development skills. You will be working on new project using . NET2. This is a very exciting project working on an online credit card application. Any experience of working within the financial services (working with retail banks on loans, credit cards, and more ->
    Type: Contract Location: South London Country: England Start: Immediate Salary/Rate: 275-300/Day Posted: 11/08/2006 17:17:13 Reference: JSITMB4605D1108UEPT02165559AD00249138

C# .NET Developer
    ASP .NET version 1.1, C#, ASP, VBScript, SQL Server 2000/2005, JavaScript, AJAX, HTML, XML, Web Services. My client, a large new media agency, based in Central London requires a Senior .NET Developer with a minimum of 4 years development experience. You should be comfortable working in an agency environment and will be self- motivated enough to be able to work off your own back as well as being able to work in conjunction with the rest of your team. The perfect candidate will be required to more ->
    Type: Contract Location: Central London Country: England Start: ASAP Salary/Rate: 300/Day Posted: 11/08/2006 17:14:57 Reference: JS/PC/PF/AGENCY

I guess all the code monkeys from abroad have arrived in .NET land and now £200/day is considered top dollar in London.

Yeah which is why I'm bailing out after this contract. I've done enough "business development" to sell stuff without the help of agencies and for MY rate
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
      as work may be on customer sites
      Note that one isn't contracting directly for a bank but for (presumably) a solutions provider/consultancy company, so they will need to add their % on top.
      All the risk of contracting but with the rewards of a permie job, you have to ask whats the point at £200 a day. Even our Asian cousins will have to pay London rents, although I guess a room in a tulipty East London loft conversion can be cheap if its family.

Comment

I'm currently recruiting staff and contract personnel for a couple of projects here in Cambridge.

Anyone with a work permit transfer requirement immediately gets filed in that special cabinet on the floor. No ifs, buts, or maybe!!!

Comment

Invasion

half of them come on this board for advice too - cheeky cnuts

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
            Haven't looked on JobServe or the like the for about 6 months and see this?

I guess all the code monkeys from abroad have arrived in .NET land and now £200/day is considered top dollar in London.
            The company i currently contract with (as a BA in Financial Services in the City) were looking for .NET ASp C# contractors few weeks back. The rate was higher than £200/day but the rate we were asking for this year was lower than the rate asked for last year. We still received hundreds of CV's
            Guess its all down to supply and demand.

Most of those interviewed were rejected due to poor language/communictaion skills.

Comment

The jobs you listed are between £200-£300, even here in scotland the average is £250 a day for that skillset and thats public sector!

Comment

They think its all over ? It is now ...

The number of graduates who failed to find work after leaving university rose last year, according to figures released today.

Graduates with degrees in computer science had the highest unemployment rate, with nearly 11% thought to be not working or studying.

The best employment rates were for graduates who had studied courses designed to prepare them for careers as doctors, vets or teachers.

Comment

Doomed!

Comment

Once we close the borders because of terrorism the rates will go up for those with good experience in .NET (c#).

Comment

Working...
                    X