• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Floor damaged during delivery

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floor damaged during delivery

Dishwasher was dropped during delivery cracking 3 floor tiles and chipping them. The floor is a continuous floor through kitchen, utility room and stairwell.

Delivery man signed the delivery slip acknowledging the incident.

I have emailed the suppliers saying "how are you going to address this" and await their reply.

My reaction is that to properly make good the entire floor needs to be replaced. [I should end up in the same position as I would have been were it not for their negligence]

However my reaction is that this is unlikely to be met with any great (couple of grand I expect) enthusiasm.

Any suggestions/experience ?

Originally posted by ASB View Post
    Dishwasher was dropped during delivery cracking 3 floor tiles and chipping them. The floor is a continuous floor through kitchen, utility room and stairwell.

Delivery man signed the delivery slip acknowledging the incident.

I have emailed the suppliers saying "how are you going to address this" and await their reply.

My reaction is that to properly make good the entire floor needs to be replaced. [I should end up in the same position as I would have been were it not for their negligence]

However my reaction is that this is unlikely to be met with any great (couple of grand I expect) enthusiasm.

Any suggestions/experience ?
    Surely replacing the damaged tiles, if matching tiles can be sourced, would leave you in the same position as you would have been. I don't understand why the entire floor needs replacing?

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
      Surely replacing the damaged tiles, if matching tiles can be sourced, would leave you in the same position as you would have been. I don't understand why the entire floor needs replacing?
      I would be happy with that. But there are two issues:-

1. Colour matching. I have had issues with this before as a result of having to replace some tiles in a previous property after a plumbing issue. In the end the entire floor was replaced because the difference was striking. In this case though I think it should be much less of a problem.

2. Availability. The original supplier has gone bust, and try as I have after an extensive search I have been unable to find any

Additional piece of information re 2, a year ago the boiler was changed. For various reasons this resulted in having to remove 2 tiles in the bathroom. These are similar but different coloured. Couldn't find them and had to retile the lot (not a great problem in a small bathroom).

Comment

I am sure you have done this already but I would have a careful read though your paperwork to see if this is mentioned anywhere. I would also ring them and see if they will supply you a copy of their repair policy if they have one. I would expect this is going to be very messy so would prepare yourself as best you can including knowing their policies so you are in a position to argue them or even go straight to a solicitor and start with the big guns. There could be get outs on their side you need to address quick or it could be in black and white they have to make good back to original finish in which case they would be stuffed and have to retile it all.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What kind of numpty doesn't keep a spare box or at least a few individual tiles? Or, if it was like that when you moved in, have you checked in the garage, loft, etc in case some are lurking around?

Another option would be to move a couple of good tiles from somewhere that doesn't matter, and try to glue up the broken ones in their place.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I am sure you have done this already but I would have a careful read though your paperwork to see if this is mentioned anywhere. I would also ring them and see if they will supply you a copy of their repair policy if they have one. I would expect this is going to be very messy so would prepare yourself as best you can including knowing their policies so you are in a position to argue them or even go straight to a solicitor and start with the big guns. There could be get outs on their side you need to address quick or it could be in black and white they have to make good back to original finish in which case they would be stuffed and have to retile it all.
            Well, it's Currys.

The appliance was bought in store. At the point of payment there is no documentation other than the point of sale receipt. This doesn't even contain a reference to "all sales subject to our terms of business or similar".

As such I believe any terms they try and impose would be post contract (and since not agreed to at the time unenforceable). But that would get very messy and I do take the point about "subject to conditions", not there any are there.....

Been scuttling around searching for similar experiences to no avail :-(

Initial reaction is a polite email with photos and a copy of the deliverers acknowledgement giving them 3 days.

So, by early next week I need to have figured out my next step.

I will be moving towards some form of letter before action fairly quickly. On the one hand a couple of grand to replace a floor is fairly harsh. But on the other hand why should my nice "flowing" floor which is part of the interior design be completely stuffed because of their negligence.

Irrespective I imagine:-

Me: "but they damage my floor and really it needs to be replaced so everything still matches,just like it did before they fskd it up"

Judge: "I've looked at the photos, it doesn't look that bad, these things happen but it was there fault so I'll award you 100 quid",

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              What kind of numpty doesn't keep a spare box or at least a few individual tiles? Or, if it was like that when you moved in, have you checked in the garage, loft, etc in case some are lurking around?

Another option would be to move a couple of good tiles from somewhere that doesn't matter, and try to glue up the broken ones in their place.
              I'll take that up with my partner.

The house was done up a few years ago when she was living abroad. So, unfortunately no spares.

Removing the cracked tiles will destroy them, and it will be unfortunately extremely unlikely any tiles from a less conspicuous area (e.g. the last tile underneath units etc) can be lifted successfully.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post

Irrespective I imagine:-

Me: "but they damage my floor and really it needs to be replaced so everything still matches,just like it did before they fskd it up"

Judge: "I've looked at the photos, it doesn't look that bad, these things happen but it was there fault so I'll award you 100 quid",
                Unfortunately I would worry that this would be the case as well. I would also expect him to comment that if you have such a valuable floor you should have done something to protect it as well. Friend of mine had his lino torn up with a Currys delivery of an American fridge freezer. They tried sliding it across the floor which was a fake looking tile. They told him she should have made him aware it was lino not tile. I have had two items delivered by different companies since then and in both cases I made sure there was a load of cardboard on the floor to stop scrapes.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Unfortunately I would worry that this would be the case as well. I would also expect him to comment that if you have such a valuable floor you should have done something to protect it as well. Friend of mine had his lino torn up with a Currys delivery of an American fridge freezer. They tried sliding it across the floor which was a fake looking tile. They told him she should have made him aware it was lino not tile. I have had two items delivered by different companies since then and in both cases I made sure there was a load of cardboard on the floor to stop scrapes.
                  I've found a couple of cases where people have had success. One had a quote for £795 for repairs and they offered £250. Another had a quote refused but after TS involvement they stumped up the £244 cost.

Plan is to try and get them to send out their loss adjusters and take it from there (meanwhile I will have got various quotes from various tilers).

A possibility is to retile the footwell if we can get a colour match (but this will be the hard part).

But GF will be well hacked off; I do see her point, but do think it is probably too much to expect to win a case to get it all retiled.

I think the legal position is they must take "reasonable" care - they didn't.

They are obliged to provide "reasonable" recompense. I supect retiling the entire floor will go way beyond that. This is going to run and run, so I will probably use Trading Standards or similar.

Comment

How big are the chips!! you can get coloured grout that could cover? or a nice mat?

No matter how much £ you get your not seriously going to retile the whole lot are you? why not just go for the rustic look.

I'm sure you/any workman could source the tiles on the internet?

Comment

Working...
                    X