• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Weird working again after months on the bench

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird working again after months on the bench

While I was on the bench, I couldn't wait to get back to work. Now I'm back its weird and difficult to get back into.

No more sitting around in my PJs, taking kids to school, looking after baby etc.

Now its up at the crack, train in the dark, sitting in a scruffy portakabin doing a crap contract. I must admit I'm never that excited at starting in new places (stresses me out) but this is the worse because of the time off I've had.

Luckily, its home every night. Would be a bit much if I had to stay away methinks....

But thats reality for you I guess. Beginning to wonder though whether I should have sucked up the bench time and waited for something a bit more interesting (and paid more!).
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Is this mumsnet?

Comment

So what's going on with the other gig? Waiting to hear on the interview still?

Yes, working (at all) lowers your quality of life, but on the bright side it gives you the money to enjoy what time off you do get!

I hate the early starts and getting home so tired that I can't be bothered doing anything in the evening, and I'm longing for some bench time now, but on the other hand I enjoy being able to go out for a nice meal without having to overly worry about the cost, being able to buy myself the odd toy or game without feeling guilty about spending the money, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by GazCol View Post
        Is this mumsnet?

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
          So what's going on with the other gig? Waiting to hear on the interview still?

Yes, working (at all) lowers your quality of life, but on the bright side it gives you the money to enjoy what time off you do get!

I hate the early starts and getting home so tired that I can't be bothered doing anything in the evening, and I'm longing for some bench time now, but on the other hand I enjoy being able to go out for a nice meal without having to overly worry about the cost, being able to buy myself the odd toy or game without feeling guilty about spending the money, etc.
          Interview next week. Perhaps why my heart aint really in this. Also, its turned out to be a bit lower level than it was sold at to be honest and some of the tech I'd hoped to get experience of they hardly use.

Yeh know what you mean - bench time is nice if you're minted and not having to watch the funds.

Comment

Originally posted by GazCol View Post
            Is this mumsnet?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              While I was on the bench, I couldn't wait to get back to work. Now I'm back its weird and difficult to get back into.

No more sitting around in my PJs, taking kids to school, looking after baby etc.

Now its up at the crack, train in the dark, sitting in a scruffy portakabin doing a crap contract. I must admit I'm never that excited at starting in new places (stresses me out) but this is the worse because of the time off I've had.

Luckily, its home every night. Would be a bit much if I had to stay away methinks....

But thats reality for you I guess. Beginning to wonder though whether I should have sucked up the bench time and waited for something a bit more interesting (and paid more!).
              The crack isn't going to help long term.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                and some of the tech I'd hoped to get experience of they hardly use.
                I'm a Java dev and after 6 weeks at my current gig i've not written a single line of Java (although having had a look it's honestly the worst I've ever seen anyway )
                The rate is good and it's only 25 mins away, but I won't be staying if they offered an extension.

You have my sympathies - i hope you get what you're after soon.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                  I'm a Java dev and after 6 weeks at my current gig i've not written a single line of Java (although having had a look it's honestly the worst I've ever seen anyway )
                  The rate is good and it's only 25 mins away, but I won't be staying if they offered an extension.

You have my sympathies - i hope you get what you're after soon.
                  Thats not so good. Saying that though good rate and close to home means a lot to me. Unfortunately, this one for me is tulipe rate, not too close (but not too far).

I took it as a way of getting some extra experience but I don't think its going to happen :-( Pity.

Should have known what clients are like. Everyone thinks they're setup is the most busiest, cutting edge etc when, in reality, you get there and wonder what the fuss is.

Like a country club here it is mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    The crack isn't going to help long term.
                    Too early in the morning for crack :-)

Drove today rather than train. Weather awful but marginally quicker than train so this is an option.

Comment

Working...
                    X