• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The journey of the good permie man

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The journey of the good permie man

You are in this multinational company which claims to care about his employees. Each year you work harder and you get good appraisals (not so good as they know who they have to promote to upper management). You work your @rse off and believe in pension schemes. However, your 3% annual payrise is not enough to make you live comfortably so you work even harder in the hope that they will recognise your efforts. You receive lots of email of appreciation and you start to believe you are important. At the stage that you don't even have to update on the most currently important skills. You dedicate your efforts to the company and don't even worry about certifications, studies, anything that would help you to be in a more marketable position. And why should you? You got everything you need. A desk, a good salary, lot of people who believe in you. But now you are 50, you are too expensive for the company and since you are not a director you can't compete with a younger worker. Besides, your skills are not updated. You are only good at your position and outside you are worthless. Also, why haven't you become at senior manager at 50? You are certainly a failure. The company appreciated what you have done but now it's time to move apart. You are made redundant, you get a nice silver watch and a fantastic party with lots of fancy cards and speeches. What can you do now? You can't use your pension scheme before 65 (well, let's make it 70 in a few years). And you still need to work. You are fine for one year with your redundancy package and you don't worry as it's hard to live on a lesser standard. After a year you start worrying but guess what? You are too old to work. For a while you get a few poorly paid contracts in no-profit organisation doing things that you were overqualified 20 years ago to do. But even those companies get tired of you, you are too old, too moaning and too out-of-date. And also you are 55, almost 60! Here you go, at the age of 55 stacking shelves at tesco or serving customers in a night petrol station. You still got 10 years to go before you can take your stingy pension whose value has shrinked to next-to-nothing. You are f@cked. You want to redeem yourself, feel alive, you divorce, you fall in love for a 20 year-old girl who wants to take your last pennies. Your children will hate you and leave you die in loneliness. You are not used to fight, anyway, you surrender, you are a permie, you are a dead man.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Should've slept with the boss in your 30's....

Comment

Pension is the biggest scam in the existance that is (to add insult to injury) officially legitimate. Things did not become much better from that what was taking place in Sparta.

Comment

Excellent analysis, Francko.
        We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
          You are in this multinational company which claims....

...permie, you are a dead man.
          Are you stalking me?
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Serves this chap right I say.

He should have taken a sensible career option with a better future career path such as a chartered accountant or for the more conservative minded,a stable career choice as a Rock N Roll Star.

Tony went to fight in Belfast
            Rudi stayed at home to starve

I could make it all worthwhile as a rock & roll star
            Bevan tried to change the nation
            Sonny wants to turn the world, well he can tell you that he tried

I could do with the money
            I'm so wiped out with things as they are
            I'd send my photograph to my honey - and I'd c'mon like a regular superstar

Comment

Any fans of "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" on the board?

Comment

Originally posted by GreenerGrass
                Any fans of "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" on the board?
                Not since I found out it was a work of fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                  Not since I found out it was a work of fiction.
                  Part fiction I understand. He is one massively smug bastard, but there are a few lessons in there.

http://www.mastermindforum.com/kiyos...onsetoreed.htm
                  Last edited by GreenerGrass; 14 August 2006, 10:31.

Comment

Don't worry, John Reid will save you. A few million more immigrants will sort out your pension as well.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X