• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Embarrassing Moment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embarrassing Moment

Imagine the situation. You're a socially awkward gricer and you've reluctantly agreed to attend the wedding of a friend of a friend.

So, not really knowing anyone you've spent the day feeling like a bit of a spare part and you are just beginning to feel that those off the cuff remarks people are making to one another consist of the words "who is he?".

Never mind, it will all be over soon for it is the final act in this tortuous showpiece of your social ineptness - the disco.

And, in time honoured tradition, it begins with the bride and groom taking to the floor whilst everone else gathers round in a circle to observe their gyrations.

Then, you suddenly become the subject of the bride's attention and a gesticulation has you break free from the throng to join the happy couple with a little solo routine of your own in front of a room full of people you barely know. As soon as you are in full flow, though, you really are not imagining the words "who is he?" this time as it dawns on you that you had misinterpreted the bride's signal for somebody to take a photo as a request for you to join them on the floor.

And whats more, once you've started there is no way of extricating yourself in an elegant manner and you have to endure what has surely got to be the longest 3 minutes of your life.
    Last edited by gricerboy; 15 December 2013, 11:48.

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    Imagine the situation. You're a socially awkward gricer and you've reluctantly agreed to attend the wedding of a friend of a friend.

So, not really knowing anyone you've spent the day feeling like a bit of a spare part and you are just beginning to feel that those off the cuff remarks people are making to one another consist of the words "who is he?".

Never mind, it will all be over soon for it is the final act in this tortuous showpiece of my social ineptness - the disco.

And, in time honoured tradition, it begins with the bride and groom taking to the floor whilst the rest of us gather round in a circle to observe their gyrations.

Then, I suddenly become the subject of the bride's attention and a gesticulation has me break free from the throng to join the happy couple with a little solo routine of my own in front of a room full of people I barely know. As soon as I am in full flow, though, I really am not imagining the words "who is he?" this time as it dawns on me that I had misinterpreted the bride's signal for somebody to take a photo as a request for me to join them on the floor.

And whats more, once I'd started there was no way of extricating myself in an elegant manner and I had to endure what was surely the longest 3 minutes of my life.
    Who are you?
    Last edited by DaveB; 15 December 2013, 15:33.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

You become what you think about sir

Comment

Imagine if any of this tulip actually happened

Comment

Hello Gricer!

Very embarrassing! It's a good job she didn't slip whilst summoning you and fall on her back, legs ineligantly akimbo. Misinterpreting that could have been a lot worse!

Comment

next time stand at the back of the crowd
            This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
              Imagine if any of this tulip actually happened
              Amusing story, but WHS ^
              "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Imagine the situation. You're a socially awkward gricer
                No way! Really?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  Hello Gricer!

Very embarrassing! It's a good job she didn't slip whilst summoning you and fall on her back, legs ineligantly akimbo. Misinterpreting that could have been a lot worse!
                  Hi DS

I think you know which side my bread is buttered

Comment

Hi DS

I think you know which side my bread is buttered
                    you mean he would have to fall on his front?
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X