• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lunchtime at client site

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lunchtime at client site

Just wondered what everyone else does.

Personally, I NEVER stay at my desk. And, being a bit of a miserable git, I generally don't go to lunch with the permies (hate having to make conversation during my time).

Usually don;t work through either because a lot of client dont seem to like this. And, of course, no-one notices if you work lunch but can guarantee will notice if you leave 30 mins early. In fact, I tend not to stick to just 30 mins sometimes for the same reason - people notice if you take a short lunch and leave early-ish - better not to rush and stay a bit later.

Like to get away from things.
    If I've got the car with me, I usually go and eat my sarnie in the car, listen to radio, read the paper, have a kip etc.

Not to easy if you're on the train of course. Client canteens can be a bit dire. Sometimes I'll go to gym if theres one close.

Only so many times you can go for a walk. Pub sometimes.
    (although I did have one client who seemed to think they could say no-one was allowed to go to the pub at lunchtime WTF!)
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

I always try and get away from the desk, go for a walk somewhere if it is reasonably dry. At one ClientCo site i am working at 3 days a week there is a driving range so go and hit 50 balls.

Comment

Agreed - escape from my desk unless I want to spend some personal time on the internet (not that I do that throughout the rest of the day, of course!). And I, too, have no interest in hanging around with the permies or using staff canteens where they exist.

It depends on the client - in the past, with contractor heavy clients, I've managed to find a few people I don't detest who I can go for lunch with, whether going out for a meal or simply finding somewhere separate to eat sarnies. At the moment, being the only contractor I know of on site, it's a bit more difficult. In summer I'd go eat in a park or by the river. Now the weather has turned I go buy lunch and eat it in the little kitchen areas they have here (no canteen) while browsing on my phone. Normally I'm left alone, except for yesterday when someone decided to sit next to me, instead of at any of the other empty tables (i.e. EVERY other table) and talk to me, simply because he sits fairly near me in the office and we hadn't spoken before. He had nothing of interest to say, and I ended up scoffing my food as quickly as possible and mumbling an excuse about work I needed to get done.

Comment

I eat, sleep and have sex on my desk.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          I eat, sleep and have sex on my desk.
          I'm sure the cleaning lady appreciates this. Especially if she's participating the third activity.

Comment

I like to go sit in the car and have a kip, although when i was doing this in a public car park the wife said one of these days someone is going to think your dead and call the police

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
              Agreed - escape from my desk unless I want to spend some personal time on the internet (not that I do that throughout the rest of the day, of course!). And I, too, have no interest in hanging around with the permies or using staff canteens where they exist.

It depends on the client - in the past, with contractor heavy clients, I've managed to find a few people I don't detest who I can go for lunch with, whether going out for a meal or simply finding somewhere separate to eat sarnies. At the moment, being the only contractor I know of on site, it's a bit more difficult. In summer I'd go eat in a park or by the river. Now the weather has turned I go buy lunch and eat it in the little kitchen areas they have here (no canteen) while browsing on my phone. Normally I'm left alone, except for yesterday when someone decided to sit next to me, instead of at any of the other empty tables (i.e. EVERY other table) and talk to me, simply because he sits fairly near me in the office and we hadn't spoken before. He had nothing of interest to say, and I ended up scoffing my food as quickly as possible and mumbling an excuse about work I needed to get done.
              Times I've been in London (never worked but been on courses etc) amazed by how full parks/green areas are at lunctime. Every bench got someone eating sarnie.

Guess this is because in london high % travel in by public transport and dont have restauratn facilities at emploeyer.

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
                I like to go sit in the car and have a kip, although when i was doing this in a public car park the wife said one of these days someone is going to think your dead and call the police
                Used to be car park near where I worked. Nice place picnic area etc. One of the people I worked with lived near there and saw me parked up there one day.

Apparently, it was a well known dogging site as well. You can imagine the grief I had over that one!

Saying that was having a kip once (different place but lunchtime) and looked over and fella in next car was giving me weird look. Then a young ladies head bobbed up and she was looking at me funny too. I was off like a shot.

Comment

I train at lunchtime. I like the stress relief and the change of scene.

The client site has a little used road outside which I use for sprints, sandbag carries, farmer's walks etc.

Although recently I have just brought in kit and got armoured up at lunchtime and practiced with a sword and shield, two handed sword, spear and poleaxe against a tree (not hitting it hard of course!).

In the new year I will adjust things so I do weights or whatever before I get the kids up in the morning and do my skill work at lunchtime and maybe go to group training once or twice a week.
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                    I train at lunchtime. I like the stress relief and the change of scene.

The client site has a little used road outside which I use for sprints, sandbag carries, farmer's walks etc.

Although recently I have just brought in kit and got armoured up at lunchtime and practiced with a sword and shield, two handed sword, spear and poleaxe against a tree (not hitting it hard of course!).

In the new year I will adjust things so I do weights or whatever before I get the kids up in the morning and do my skill work at lunchtime and maybe go to group training once or twice a week.
                    OKEY!
                    Might be worse if someone from client sees you dressed up...

Of course, for this sort of thing, need shower etc at client. Or just turn up in pm buzzing... :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X