• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More stuff about Toyotas that go faster than you might like.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More stuff about Toyotas that go faster than you might like.

Efficient C Tip #13; Automotive Safety

NHTSA needs to get Toyota to make its existing cars safe and also needs to step up on software regulation and oversight.

For example, FAA and FDA both have guidelines for safety-critical software design (e.g., DO-178) within the systems they oversee.

NHTSA has nothing.

Also, NHTSA recently mandated the presence and certain features of black boxes in all US cars, but that rule does not go far enough.

We observed that Toyota's black box can malfunction during unintended acceleration specifically, and this will cause the black box to falsely report no braking.

NHTSA's rules need to address this, e.g., by being more specific about where and how the black box gets its data, so that it does not have a common failure point with the engine computer.
    Stone me.

That's a good way to blame the driver then.
    Last edited by zeitghost; 1 June 2017, 15:07.

Are the brakes electronic?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Funny how this only ever affects the Septics, innit?

Comment

My 20 year old Beemer has a high tech throttle cable.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          Funny how this only ever affects the Septics, innit?
          No, it's brilliant. Well done to the Japanese for that one. Keep up the good work chaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            No, it's brilliant. Well done to the Japanese for that one. Keep up the good work chaps.
            That's racist, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Just think, before long you may have
              • a throttle pedal with no mechanical connection to the throttle,
              • a brake pedal with no hydraulic connection to the brakes,
              • a steering wheel with no mechanical connection to the steering and
              • a handbrake with no mechanical connection to the parking brake mechanism,
              • a gear selector that has no mechanical connection to the gearbox
              • an ignition key with no connection to anything

Doomed etc.
              Sounds like my old Alfa.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Just think, before long you may have
                • a throttle pedal with no mechanical connection to the throttle,
                • a brake pedal with no hydraulic connection to the brakes,
                • a steering wheel with no mechanical connection to the steering and
                • a handbrake with no mechanical connection to the parking brake mechanism,
                • a gear selector that has no mechanical connection to the gearbox
                • an ignition key with no connection to anything

Doomed etc.
                The car equivalent of an AirBus then.

IIRC The Ford Galaxy suffered the same fate in yank land some years earlier. There was a documentary ont tellybox. The cruise control was completely banjaxed, and if it got a spike it would basically deck the throttle. People were getting killed.

Ford didn't want to do a recall as it was cheaper to pay out on the odd death, or at least this is what the documentary was not so subtly hinting at. Allegedly they found an email from Ford top brass saying this.

Apparently Ford also said it was possible to bring the car to a complete stop by depressing the foot brake. The documentary stated that it would take the pressure of an elephant standing on one leg to achieve enough pressure.

Throttle cable for me. My car has no cruise control, it many ways it's more like Fred Flintstone's car.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  The car equivalent of an AirBus then.

IIRC The Ford Galaxy suffered the same fate in yank land some years earlier. There was a documentary ont tellybox. The cruise control was completely banjaxed, and if it got a spike it would basically deck the throttle. People were getting killed.
                  You're thinking of the Ford Explorer - they never sold the Galaxy in the USA.

Ford didn't want to do a recall as it was cheaper to pay out on the odd death, or at least this is what the documentary was not so subtly hinting at. Allegedly they found an email from Ford top brass saying this.
                  Now you're getting confused with the Ford Pinto. This was before widespread email use so the (urban myth) refers originally to a memo. It's nonsense.

Throttle cable for me. My car has no cruise control,
                  Good - if your recollection of what each of the controls does is as good as you recall of TV documentaries you'll be better off with less efficient rudimentary controls.
                  it many ways it's more like Fred Flintstone's car.
                  Since you appear to have rocks in your head, very appropriate.

Comment

You're thinking of the Ford Explorer - they never sold the Galaxy in the USA.
                    That you can have.

Now you're getting confused with the Ford Pinto. This was before widespread email use so the (urban myth) refers originally to a memo. It's nonsense.
                    That you can't have. Obligatory wail link.

Good - if your recollection of what each of the controls does is as good as you recall of TV documentaries you'll be better off with less efficient rudimentary controls.
                    Less efficient? Works every time, without fail. How is that inefficient?

Since you appear to have rocks in your head, very appropriate.
                    Since you appear to be a pompous arrogant fcktard I suggest you take this up with SAS.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X