• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

assimilate this!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

assimilate this!

I had a big PL/SQL file (OK I don't normally do coding any more but I still can) and I wanted to find all the LOOP ... END LOOP pairs, and get a quick picture of how they were nested and sequenced. What text editor would the Board use to do that? It's a unix system but most work is done on the Windows PC, e.g. by UltraEdit and FTP.

Obviously you can search and mark in any editor, but I wanted to be able to visualise the pairings (e.g. as you can in Textpad with Ctrl-m to find the mate for a bracket: but how do you define Loop and END LOOP as brackets?)

In the end I opened it in SPF and did a "X ALL;F ALL LOOP". Ah, a real editor is still useful.

EditPlus is good.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
      In the end I opened it in SPF and did a "X ALL;F ALL LOOP". Ah, a real editor is still useful.
      That would just give you a list of the all the lines containing "LOOP". It wouldn't tell you which "LOOP" went with which "END-LOOP".
      We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
        That would just give you a list of the all the lines containing "LOOP". It wouldn't tell you which "LOOP" went with which "END-LOOP".
        No, but since you've eXcluded all the irrelevant lines, the structure is clear at a glance. If it was anybody but IBM, they'd have copyrighted the look and feel of X ALL, it's so powerful.

Comment

What the hell ever happened to the For Next or Do While Loop stuff?

hyperd in "I'm so stupid so what the hell am I doing in IT" mode
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

And the Jabber said Emacs. And it grew into a large cube and
            destroyed all those who touched it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky
              And the Jabber said Emacs. And it grew into a large cube and
              destroyed all those who touched it.
              I know, I know. I sometimes ask myself why I'm not an Emacs enthusiast. But I'm not.

Comment

well write a little loop dump that goes through the text - **** s*ke
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Use text replacement of the BEGIN and END statements into "{" and "}".

Then put it into Eclipse or Developer Studio, they allow you to open/collapse code blocks.

Comment

Real men use vi editor

Comment

Working...
                    X