• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Merge in Turn - What do the panel think?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merge in Turn - What do the panel think?

I know this is likely to be a contentious point, but what is the consensus on how best to negotiate these hurdles?

Example #1 :-

On a main road into a city, shortly after a busy intersection, there is a road which goes from 2 lanes into 1 over a distance of about 30-40 yards. Just prior to this there is a clearly marked sign which states "Merge in Turn".
    You are in the right hand lane of the two and as you approach this lane reduction, all vehicles appear to be happily merging alternately from both lanes.
    However, to your immediate left but slightly in arrears of you, there is a vehicle that is frantically tailgating the vehicle in front of them in their lane, presumably because they do not wish to follow the general etiquette of the road, thus preventing you from smoothly moving into the traffic flow.
    Do you :-

a) Stop moving and allow them to overtake you on the inside, hoping that all subsequent drivers won't do the same, leaving you high and dry and bringing your entire lane of traffic to a halt

b) Continue slowly moving forward hoping that manners will prevail, and that they will eventually follow the accepted pattern and allow you in as you are both ahead of them and to their right

c) Veer sharply to the left as you have a big fook-off company truck that already has a whole bunch of scratches and dents, so 1 or 2 more will make no difference

What do the panel think?
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

c

Every time
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

hmmm not bothered I only get ahead/behind by about 6 feet....

or if I am having a bad day I will stop my car and drag the pointless ****er out of his and then drive on..

Comment

Deploy flamethrowers.

Comment

It's safer to have the prick in front of you, or it will be you (s)he's tailgating next

Comment

Interesting stuff. FWIW, I plumped for option b which ultimately morphed into option c.
            Minimal damage to the rear passenger-side wheel arch of my Hilux, but considerably more to the front driver side wing of her Fiesta.
            I believe she may be a little more receptive to the notion of merging in turn next time she negotiates that particular junction.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by aardvark View Post
              It's safer to have the prick in front of you, or it will be you (s)he's tailgating next
              I see what you are saying, but my chunky towbar makes a good job of addressing most tailgating issues at those sorts of speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                Interesting stuff. FWIW, I plumped for option b which ultimately morphed into option c.
                Minimal damage to the rear passenger-side wheel arch of my Hilux, but considerably more to the front driver side wing of her Fiesta.
                I believe she may be a little more receptive to the notion of merging in turn next time she negotiates that particular junction.

And what does your insurance company say about 'fault'?

Comment

B for me. There are 2 of these this near my house and i am more than willing to go into the side of the impatient driver.

The other one that gets me is people undertaking. I am quite a cautious driver and leave the correct space between myself and the car in front on motorways, there is always some tw*t who likes to overtake, so once i see them start the manoeuvre I accelerate so they can't get in front, then slowly close the gap between me and the car behind so they are actually further back than before.

Comment

I only do that when the idiot on the outside watches us all obediently alternate before the final narrowing then rushes down the outside to get to the front.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X