• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What CV for a company/agency in the Netherlands?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What CV for a company/agency in the Netherlands?

Full title should be: what kind of CV would you send to a company or agency in the Netherlands that wouldn't usually deal with foreign English-speaking contractors?

Background: I have now moved to Cloggers and am not really planning to start working/business immediately. I just want to look around and decide what's best for me, but I have started sending some CV's (in English) with my new address just to fish around and get some feedback. I don't want to dig into the Expat niche because that has been filled and I am, at the moment, avoiding British agencies.

I am perfectly aware that this is a different country with a different culture and if/when I rewrite my CV in Dutch (and German) that would look and feel completely different. But what would they expect when they receive a CV in English?

My feeling is that they would want it with the same layout as their native language, but in English.

I had a chat with some German expats who have previously worked in England. They agreed (with each other) that I should forget the typical layout we are used to.

In particular, they say, I should add:
    - Date of birth
    - Place of birth
    - Nationality
    - Marital status
    - Sex

The "Profile" section in their CV is very short and the "Skills" section is at the end, before "Hobbies and Interests".

It's not unusual to add references straight at the end of the CV, especially if it is a direct contact with a company (it looks like there's not such a culture of fishing for contacts here).

I wonder if anybody has any direct experience.
    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
    Full title should be: what kind of CV would you send to a company or agency in the Netherlands that wouldn't usually deal with foreign English-speaking contractors?

Background: I have now moved to Cloggers and am not really planning to start working/business immediately. I just want to look around and decide what's best for me, but I have started sending some CV's (in English) with my new address just to fish around and get some feedback. I don't want to dig into the Expat niche because that has been filled and I am, at the moment, avoiding British agencies.

I am perfectly aware that this is a different country with a different culture and if/when I rewrite my CV in Dutch (and German) that would look and feel completely different. But what would they expect when they receive a CV in English?

My feeling is that they would want it with the same layout as their native language, but in English.

I had a chat with some German expats who have previously worked in England. They agreed (with each other) that I should forget the typical layout we are used to.

In particular, they say, I should add:
    - Date of birth
    - Place of birth
    - Nationality
    - Marital status
    - Sex

The "Profile" section in their CV is very short and the "Skills" section is at the end, before "Hobbies and Interests".

It's not unusual to add references straight at the end of the CV, especially if it is a direct contact with a company (it looks like there's not such a culture of fishing for contacts here).

I wonder if anybody has any direct experience.

I have not changed the look of my CV from when I worked in the UK.

They do ask for your date of birth here.

Hasn't had any impact on the gigs I've got.

And yes they do fish for references here just as much as any other country, just you wait.

If you want any tips on job sites, agencies etc... PM me
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
    X