• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

References again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

References again

So some agency is refusing to put my name forward to some government client unless I hand over references... Apparently these government clients have a "compliance" process which includes getting references before agency submits CV's. Having worked for government accounts before I just dont believe it. I cannot believe every agency is taking references up for every contractor before putting them forwards, as much as anything it would just be a totally intollerable burden on the poor referees expected to provide references for every possible job rather than just at firm offer stage. Does some goverment HR portal really demand references from agencies?

Worth an airing in General?

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    Worth an airing in General?
    Specifically in General?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
      Specifically in General?
      Why not, it's a slow day.

I did this some time back. See here.

I took the advice and sent across. Came to SFA.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

There must be a bloke in a pub somewhere earning all his drinks by giving references to contractors.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          There must be a bloke in a pub somewhere earning all his drinks by giving references to contractors.
          Plan B ahoy!
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
            Plan B ahoy!
            saloonbarreferences.com
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Its nonsense, especially when you CTC, SC, have worked for big reputable companies for donkeys years. Given that there is no chance anyone would name someone likely to give a poor reference, that in perm land any departures that are done with bad blood usually end up with a compromise agreement including a pre agreed reference, that most of the big multi nationals refuse to give anything but a bog standard confirmation you were there, that bosses move one, and so on and so on. References serve no useful purpose whatsoever. And if its genuinely a govt client they can look up where youve been easily if they really want to. It sure doesnt stop folk lying on their CV's as I can see from several idiots I have worked with.

Comment

<pssst>Whitespace.

HTH
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  <pssst>Whitespace.

HTH
                  where?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

right who is running saloonbarreferences then

got to laugh

Comment

Working...
                    X